Honeymoon in Paris. Where to go?

ssbib

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all. My wife and I have finally got round to booking our honeymoon. We go to Paris in the first week of July for 7 nights. We are staying in a hotel a few minutes walk from the Eiffel Tower. We have tickets to Disneyland booked and are looking forward to it.

What can you good people recommend to do while we are there? Any good restaurant recommendations? Thanks.

Book the Eiffel Tower entry in advance, include a trip to the summit :)
Do a boat trip on the seine, decent ones start from the Eiffel tow
Also make certain you stroll down there, lots of nice little places and great atmosphere
Personally I like hanging about in Quartier Latin, lots of nice little restaurants as well in the evening

But ultimately do like the locals do, buy some wine, enjoy each others company, have a sit down on the banks of ILE de la cite in the evening when the sun goes down...

Besides that, it depends what you like...It's a great citi with lots of culture...

Thanks for those suggestions. How come you say to book the Eiffel Tower in advance, are there massive queues or something? I might book that in advance but when we are there, or do you think that will be too short notice?

Thanks for the suggestions on places to go. I think you’ve summed it up with the “do like the locals do” comment. That sounds ideal.

Depending on when you go the queues at the Eiffel Tower can be quite long. Last time we chances it and it wasn’t too bad but it was probably an extra 1.5hours in a queue. And then definitely get a ticket to the summit. It’s fun.

In July the temperature should be nice. And the atmosphere was fantastic in the evenings around the little island. Lots of couples, or friends meeting up. Doesn’t cost anything and better than many a cafe to see the sun go down.

Yeah sounds like it will be worth buying the Eiffel Tower tickets in advance, nobody wants to spend half a day stood in a queue. Where do you purchase them from exactly?

That’s what we were hoping for: good weather, plus we are getting there before the schools break up so hopefully Disney won’t be AS busy as when they’re off. Sounds ideal, just having a walk round and soaking it all in. Have you been to the Louvre? Any good??

A very long time ago. We had our children with us the last time, and they had no interest and were tired of walking, and there was a fair in the park next door which took their interest....Will go next time.

Haha, yeah I can imagine that the fair would’ve held more intrigue to them than the Louvre. I’ll check it out I think. Are there any other tours or attractions you would recommend?

It was only the catacombes that we had any significant queue when we went to Paris in early June but I suspect we were lucky.

The tower tickets can be bought from Ticket prices and opening times - The official Eiffel Tower website and is probably sensible to avoid the risk of queues. Again you can get significant queues at the Louvre (we didn't) and Notre Dame (didnt go inside) so tickets in advance can be sensible.

The Lourve is listed in the top 10 muesums of the world by the National Geographic so no need to ask my opinion. Obviously if you find muesums boring then it'll be boring too. Even though the queues to get in were small some of the most famous exhibits, particularly the Mona Lisa, had near constant large crowds around them.

As to places to eat... depends on your tastes and budgets. I know I'll probably be barred from ever entering France again but I am not that big a fan of French cuisine and whilst overall I think the average standard is better than British I don't get excited by 95% of their fine cuisine. I've been to a few of the top resturants in Paris and personally I'd save the money and go to similar places in other countries instead.

Thanks very much for that information, especially the links. Closer to the time I think maybe we will book our tickets to prevent us from having to wait on a queue for too long.

A view of the Eiffel tower at night from the Trocadero is surely a must for a romantic holiday. Lights up at 9pm with the light show, then the same little show/sparkle on the hour. Probably want 10pm or later for the full effect against the darkness.

upload_2018-2-10_22-16-44.png

A view of the Eiffel tower at night from the Trocadero is surely a must for a romantic holiday. Lights up at 9pm with the light show, then the same little show/sparkle on the hour. Probably want 10pm or later for the full effect against the darkness.

View attachment 977944

Thanks for that suggestion. That’s something I wasn’t aware of and so easily could’ve missed. I’ll add it to the list.

Definitely a boat trip.

We did the Moulin Rouge and that was fun. Get a table and dinner, it's a great evening. Still got a bottle of Champagne that we spotted left on a table, unopened!

We stayed here: Hôtel 4 étoiles Paris Montmartre - Villa Royale - Site Officiel

It was a fun hotel, very near to Moulin Rouge in the "Pigalle" district, so it has a busy nightlife and lots of atmosphere. It's not the best hotel in Paris, but it had some really cool quirky rooms and lovely little balconies overlooking the busy street. We loved it.

Boat trip....

1930543_24907052197_4790_n.jpg

Find a street party...

1930543_24908182197_8965_n.jpg

Find a floating bar/restaurant...

1930543_24908857197_2078_n.jpg

Explore and see the sights...

1930543_24908892197_4109_n.jpg

Our hotel from the street...

1930543_24910687197_3014_n.jpg

Trip to Moulin Rouge

1930543_24914347197_3729_n.jpg

View from our table

1930543_24914412197_8265_n.jpg

My better half, on our hotel balcony...

1930543_24914527197_7556_n.jpg

More sights...

1930543_24916012197_2433_n.jpg

That looks absolutely great! Thanks for all the snaps and recommending things. A trip on a boat and to Moulin Rouge sounds great. What is the show exactly, is it like Burlesque? Also, do they do food??

That looks absolutely great! Thanks for all the snaps and recommending things. A trip on a boat and to Moulin Rouge sounds great. What is the show exactly, is it like Burlesque? Also, do they do food??

It was a long time ago now, but from what I remember you can buy packages with dinner and champagne included.

The show is great. I remember a scantily clad woman swimming in an enormous glass tank full of water, and snakes.

Here is some info on it

Féerie show - Moulin Rouge (Site Officiel)

Well worth going! But dress smart. Suits and dresses to fit in.

Thanks for that. The “dress smart” thing might stop me going though if it is mandatory. I hate wearing suits and won’t be taking one with me. If I can go in a nice shirt and jeans though I will definitely be there.

I would just go in my pants.

Because I am British and will please myself and to show that I can.

I'd suggest going to the Hemingway Bar at the Ritz Hotel for cocktails. Also consider the Musee D'Orsay if you want amazing artwork - it's full of impressionist paintings and the building is an old railway station.

I can also recommend the Hemingway Bar from experience but brace yourself - the platinum bullet I had was the best Martini I've ever had and also the most expensive 27E several years ago!

Last time we went we took my father in law who was a wheelchair user - so we used the hop-on-hop-off tourist buses. The drivers were not helpful or polite and the final services of the day didn't turn up leaving us to walk from Montmartre back to the centre on our own. Read the Trip Advisor reviews and buy with caution if you're thinking of doing this.

If we could have used the Metro instead I would have done. Paris is great for wandering around.

A boat tour up and down the Seine is a nice way to rest your feet - we caught one from the Eiffel Tower.

I do like hop on and off bus tours so this is something I want to do on day one and get a lay of the land and make notes of all the places I want to go later in the week. Sounds expensive for a martini! I don’t drink though so hopefully I won’t be snagged by any sharp drink prices.

L'OpenTour were shocking.
Sold me a 1 day ticket not two then refused to do anything about it and I had to visit their office to sort it out. That driver conducted a long, hand held phone call while driving at speed around the city. He wasn't pleased when I took his picture but I was furious with him.
One of their drivers closed the doors as my Father in Law had just boarded before the rest of us were on to assist him to a seat, I had to stand in front of the bus to stop him departing with him hanging onto a pole in fear of his life!
None of them would drop the bus and extend the low floor entry which was the specific reason we booked them to get him on and off in the chair. And as I said we had a 1 1/2 mile push back to the hotel when they binned the final very early evening service.
Needless to say the teenager at the office gave me a shrug in response to my complaints.

There are others, I imagine anyone would be better :eek: ;)
Paris Bus Tours | Hop On Hop Off Bus

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom