Honest Thief (Amazon) Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks Cas, sounds like any other recent Neeson film which I’m fine with. Watch once, can’t remember anything about it less than 6 months later, but makes for great re-watching experience - just like The Commuter that I watched for a second time a couple of weeks ago. Literally couldn’t remember a single thing about it!! 😃

Watched it yesterday but could not tell you anything about it as lost interest very early on.

Actually considered the Dutch Bluray with Auro Native for this one a few months ago but given how average the film sounds glad I waited for streaming.

Almost watched this as I spotted it for the first time yesterday and watched a bit to get bumped up my to watch list but not seen a 3D film for weeks so will have to wait.

Thanks Cas, sounds like any other recent Neeson film which I’m fine with. Watch once, can’t remember anything about it less than 6 months later, but makes for great re-watching experience - just like The Commuter that I watched for a second time a couple of weeks ago. Literally couldn’t remember a single thing about it!! 😃
The Commuter the one where Vera Farmiga with info from her twin sister in Source Code know what's going to happen on the train even what they can see outs side e.g. when people are going to stop at pedestrian crossings, but dont know the macguffin. :rolleyes: :laugh:

Watched it last night..and found it boring. When any scenes require Nessons character to run, you realise how old he is.

I fell asleep briefly after about 30 minutes and when I woke up, I had it in my head I was watching a different Neeson actioner or maybe even Gerard Butler. Still seemed to make sense though. Just about engaging enough while you're watching but instantly forgettable really.

Last edited:
Almost watched this as I spotted it for the first time yesterday and watched a bit to get bumped up my to watch list but not seen a 3D film for weeks so will have to wait.

The Commuter the one where Vera Farmiga with info from her twin sister in Source Code know what's going to happen on the train even what they can see outs side e.g. when people are going to stop at pedestrian crossings, but dont know the macguffin. :rolleyes: :laugh:
The forgettable The Commuter has Vera Farmiga starring? I might have to watch that lol, although watching the trailer, it appears her clothes stay well and truly on, unlike the unforgettable The Departed.

The forgettable The Commuter has Vera Farmiga starring? I might have to watch that lol, although watching the trailer, it appears her clothes stay well and truly on, unlike the unforgettable The Departed.
Yeah, but she has a 'butterface'...

You should probably watch Running Scared then 😜

Thought it was pretty average and boring at times a 5 from me

Cheers Cas. I feel you've done old Liam a generous service with this one :)

I watched it last night and thought it was pretty damn dreadful. For all it's easy on the eye "Liam does a Taken" setup, it was so preposterously constructed I wasn't sure whether it was actually trying to be serious or not. So many ridiculous decisions made by characters, and contrived moments to boot. The cast was woeful as well. Jai Courtney. One of the luckiest men in Hollywood. How he ends up in anything is a mystery, he must have a secret dossier on various execs at the studios.

The saddest thing of all though is Neeson is too long in the tooth now for this kind of thing. It just doesn't work anymore. He's still a legend, just not a legend that can fight or run anymore.

I'm afraid I can't go any higher than a 4 on this one.

Come come, Sir! Are telling us that even your fantastic home cinema system is not enough to fully engage your attention through a Liam Neeson action film?? I remember Vera Farmiga (mmm!) in The Commuter.

Come come, Sir! Are telling us that even your fantastic home cinema system is not enough to fully engage your attention through a Liam Neeson action film?? I remember Vera Farmiga (mmm!) in The Commuter.
Engaged yes! But remembered, nope!!

Just sat through the honest thief, I think if watching it on my tv I would have thought it was guff, but in my room, yes it can polish a turd so quite enjoyed it! 🤣

Totally average straight up thriller so no complaints from me 6.5/10 , did exactly what it was supposed to.

Thanks for the review Cas .

You've got hand it to Mr Neeson, having so many action/thriller films in the latter part of his career is quite an achievement and he is still dependable to put in a good performance unlike Bruce Willis.

Yes, some are quite by the numbers or forgettable and he is now getting to an age where the physical aspect of hand to hand combat is less believable than it was before but I have enjoyed some of his post Taken roles like, The Grey, Unknown, Non-stop, Run All Night, The Commuter and Cold Pursuit.

I don't think Honest Thief sits among them though, it's quite predictable and lacks the edge that some of his better roles have. The acting by the supporting cast wasn't great either and it was a shame Robert Patrick only had a brief amount of screen time.

I also don't undestand how Jai Courtney gets gigs either, I put him in the same category as Armie Hammer an automaton of an actor if I ever saw one, absolutely zero charisma.

I'd probably go somwehere around 5 or 6 out of 10, low for a Neeson flick but not the worst movie I've seen this week. I watched about 30 mins of Exposed (Keanu Reeves) on Prime before giving up, it was just messy and incoherent and even Ana de Armas wasn't enough to keep me watching.

You've got hand it to Mr Neeson, having so many action/thriller films in the latter part of his career is quite an achievement and he is still dependable to put in a good performance unlike Bruce Willis.

this is very true. I’d watch any recent Neeson film over a recent Willis film, it’s no brainier TBO

Honest Thief: Of Time

Neeson will surely go down amongst unexplained road works etc,. for being a not inconsiderable thief to doing anything better.

After a totally piss-poor opening forty five minutes, I bailed.

Cheap-looking, lifeless guff...

Wierd seeing Robert Patrick though. The T-1000 is looking a little rusty...

After a totally piss-poor opening forty five minutes, I bailed.

Cheap-looking, lifeless guff...

Wierd seeing Robert Patrick though. The T-1000 is looking a little rusty...

A pretty underrated actor who never really made it after T2.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom