1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honest Reassurance

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Kobus, Mar 25, 2005.

1. Kobus

Kobus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

I recently purchased a 1 year old pair of B&W 803's. The price I paid was about the same as what a new pair of 703's would have cost. As the 803 is the "old" nautilus technology and the 703 employ later technology, was it a good buy.

1. Are the 803 that much better than the 703 ?.
    2. Considering that for now the "best" amp I can afford/justify is a pioneer ax5ai, did I buy to "big" a speaker ?.
    3. A little unrelated, but can I later ad poweramps to the pioneer?. Is it best to take the plunge now (NO) for a pre/power setup, and if I could ad poweramps to the pioneer, what is the benefit of a seperate processor?.

Thank you all

Kobus

2. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the older 804 matrix,I heard the 700 series,the 804 to me played music,the 700 sounded harsher,greyer,but had better bass control.I think also B&W with Pioneer is harsh,you may find different.

3. Daneel

Daneel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    I would add a power amp to the pioneer. The benefit of swapping the Pioneer for a pre/pro is for your ears to tell you.

4. rags

rags

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +301
    the 803's are a difficult load and I would agree with Daneel - adding a decent power amp will get a lot more out of them.

Kobus - have you noticed im advising you to spend more and more money ! Sorry :oops:

5. Kobus

Kobus

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks, but was the 803's a good buy.