Honest opinions please

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by theredstar, Jan 20, 2005.

1. theredstar

theredstar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

This is my first post, although I've been lurking here for some time, picking up info as I go. I've discovered a whole new world of acronyms - I feel like when I got my first PC in '93. It's DOS 6 all over again .

I'm in the market for a new TV due to the imminent death of my current 28" Phillips. I genuinely can't decide what to get. I've narrowed it down to either a Panny plasma (can't decide between a screen + seperates or a Viera) or a Toshiba PF3 36" CRT. I've disregarded DLP sets as they're just too big.

What I'm most interested in is PQ. It's the most important thing to me - both for DVDs and games.

So, in your opinions is the PQ on a Plasma equal to the PQ on a good CRT?

Obviously, by asking the question in a plasma forum, I'm going to get a skewed answer. But at least plasma owners will have seen plasmas and CRTs in action. The TV posse may well have never seen a well set up plasma.

I've been to Curry's et al to see the sets in situ - but as you'll all know the poor feeds tends to bring everything down to the lowest level. There doesn't appear anywhere local that demos plasmas properly(TBH there probably is, but as I don't drive let's assume there isn't).

BTW I've got £2500 to spend.

Thanks in advance.

2. SNICK

SNICK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    Many will claim that the faithful CRT will outperform both a plasma and LCD ....BUT (and I have a 42 inch Panny) with a good source like a DVD, the pic quality of a plasma is AWESOME.....once you get a larger screen - you'll never look back. With lesser sources i.e terrestial and to some extent Sky/ freeview - the pic looks less impressive - but with many plasma monitors (not necessarily the all in ones) you can tweak the pic to your hearts content - not something you can do with a CRT (apart from the basics)..
    Ultimately it's your eyes (and ears) that need to decide. Finally bear in mind a 36 inch CRT is huge......

3. Piers

Piers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +229
    All display devices have artefacts of some description. The question is which are you able to accept?

Is the PQ on a plasma equal to the PQ on a good CRT? The question should have been is the PQ on a _good_ plasma equal to the PQ on a good CRT? The answer to the latter question is yes, provided that it is properly calibrated, connected to the right source device by the optimum connection method and accepting that the plasma is likely to be larger than the CRT screen so will show artefacts more readily.

The PQ on a cheap plasma will come nowhere near a half decent CRT but its owner will be able to say "look at the size"!

There are only a handful of outlets where you will see plasma panels properly set up so I sympathise with your dilemma (if you happen to be in the Midlands you are close to one place that does have a proper set-up : - )).

Panel plus separates makes optimum set-up much easier. Getting a plasma to look good feeding it CGI DVDs is easy - doing it with a Sky / Freeview feed is where it starts getting a bit more difficult.

Piers

www.homecinemaengineering.com

4. FEBABE

FEBABE

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Out of the box, PQ on a 37" Plasma blinds the PQ on a 36" CRT. 42" needs a bit more work...

5. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    Well 36" CRT's are a bit dodgy often! But it's perfectly possible to have a top notch picture on a plasma, it's just a question of budget and effort. How far do you want to go? With £2500, it might be tempting to suggest a PW7 panasonic and a scaler, an iscan HD. Sky or freeview with RGB and sync, and DVD via component, VGA to the screen, though you could go DVI at 576p/50 when Panasonic actually get around to sending us all some DVI boards. Quite a few happy members have gone this route, JasonJo runs this, maybe he'd comment. He's pretty fussy about his picture, and agonised for months before going ahead.

6. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    I have a Sony 36" CRT which I have had for four years. Apart from less than perfect geometry, the PQ to my eyes and to those of a number of friends is excellent.

For the last 15 months or so I have considered buying a plasma screen. On a number of occasions I have come very close to parting with my money, then hestitated thinking: "Do I want to accept an inferior PQ for the sake of simply having a larger image?"

A few weeks ago I eventually bought a plasma screen and I really am very pleased with it. Pretty much straight out of the box (with just the contrast and colour levels reduced) the PQ is excellent. My satellite receiver is simply connected with a scart lead using RGB and the PQ of most broadcasts is very good; some are approaching DVD quality.

The only time that I would say that the CRT does look a little better is with a lower quality sky transmissions, then only because it's a smaller image and the imperfections don't show up as much.

I still have the CRT in another room but much prefer watching the plasma............I never thought I'd say that!

7. theredstar

theredstar
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the input.

MAW, I've seen the Tosh 36" in action at a mates house and the PQ is really good. I'd prefer a plasma for a number of reasons (weight (the Tosh weighs 76Kg, over 100Kg with the stand!), look better etc.), but I don't want a plasma if the PQ isn't comparable with a good CRT. I'm reassured that it can be as good, but I have to say the second half of your post didn't really make any sense :) I've not really got my head around what a scaler is as yet, and the iscan HD just lost me completely.

Part of the problem is Mrs theredstar. Not unreasonably, she wants a TV she can turn on and watch Richard and Judy. She's all for good PQ, but doesn't want the living room looking like Cape Canaveral. She doesn't want to turn on 5 different things to watch TV. Hence a preference for a Viera.

Anyone else?

8. Steve Zodiac

Steve Zodiac

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    The Toshiba is a lightweight! The Sony 36" CRT is 90kg without the stand!!