1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honest opinion?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Jagular, Jan 23, 2001.

1. Jagular

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    I’m looking for some feedback from anyone who’s got a large picture please?
    This observation is not so noticeable on 36” or less TV’s. (No offence meant)

Perhaps the question I’m about to ask has been answered before, but I’m not exactly sure what it meant.

I’m using a CRT projector and a 6’ screen and my observations are:

• Films on DVD are pretty marvellous.
      Films on Sky 1,2,3…etc are also pretty dam good (not quite as good as DVD but quite acceptable).
    The problem starts with the BBC transmissions on SKY digital.

My digital receiver is a Grundig (not sure which model, but I think it must be ‘standard subscription’), which has apparently been voted as acceptable, the signal quality and strength in the set-up menu is excellent. Output from the digibox is set to widescreen.

Resolution on BBC appears to be less than 640 x 480 especially on outside broadcasts and gives VERY COARSE pixels on wipes between shots.

It has been said before that this may be the result of the way MPEG2 is encoded or decoded between the BBC and SKY.

But wait a minute! Don’t jump to any conclusion about the quality of set-top digital decoders yet because I’ve also found the same characteristic on BBC analogue channels, but not so noticeable on ITV, CH4 or CH5.

Overall, I would say BBC has a better picture quality from our local fm transmitter received through my Sony VCR tuner.

Has anyone noticed this? Can anyone give me a reason?

2. The Spaniard

The Spaniard

Jan 2, 2001
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    sorry Rob, I cant help you, but as digital info will be a main source of viewing for me also I will watch the responses closely.

I sent this message though because I hate it when no one bothers to respond to my threads!! Keep trying!!