Honda MAC driving course

Discussion in 'Motoring' started by lmccauley, Nov 3, 2005.

1. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    One of the things that Honda dealers don't tell you when you buy a Civic Type R is that you qualify for a free, 1 day, advanced driving course.

Luckily, I learnt about it on another forum (isn't the internet wonderful!) and booked my course for today.

I have to say that I was very impressed with the quality of instruction I received. The instructor assessed my driving, explained the areas that he wanted to work on, then demonstrated the techniques on the road, then handed the car back to me to drive for the rest of the session. We spent about 4:30 hours in total along the Military Road and Alston Pass (for those of you that know the area), and that was about right (I was exhausted by the end due to concentrating so much).

We covered defensive driving, judging the correct speed through corners, correct use of gears, overtaking technique and correct positioning of the car for visibility and safety.

By the end of the session, I was driving much more smoothly, more confidently, faster and better balanced through corners (but never too fast) and more safely. I've never spent so much time on the other side of the road!

It's a shame that more drivers don't get to experience a course like this, as I think the roads would be a far safer place for everyone. Given how much it costs for every car accident casualty or fatality, maybe the government could subsidise them and still save money overall?

Cheers,
    Liam

2. Layne RIP

Layne RIP

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    These sort of techniques are invaluable with todays modern performance cars.... I used to race cars and the things i learnt on the track i'm positive have made me a better on road driver.
    I think for certain cars courses like this should be mandatory.

3. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    I agree. It's very easy to pick up a 200ish BHP car for not much money these days.

I also think all new drivers should be retested after a couple of years, with the test to include motorway driving (and especially lane discipline!).

Cheers,
    Liam

4. Fatti

Fatti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Liam

Thought I recognised your avatar over at 'the other forum'. The dealer certainly didn't mention this...might just give MAC a bell next week and see if I can get on this :)

5. lmccauley

lmccauley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +430
    Aha! A fellow Home Cinema/CTR fan! Yes, I'm Nerfherder over there.

The course is linked to the car. If you are the 1st owner, then you're entitled to the course. If you're not the 1st owner, but none of the previous owners have taken the course with that car, then you are entitled to the course.

It's well worth it. See the "Honda MAC Course" sub-forum at the other forum, and you'll be able to read lots of opinions of the course.

Cheers,
    Liam

6. Fatti

Fatti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +40
    Yeah, two expensive pastimes, DVD buying obsession and a CTR with, what must be, a leaky fuel tank. :)

I'm the second owner, original guy had it for about 14 months and only put 8.5K on the clock, so I'm hoping he didn't bother with the course. I've just been wading through the MAC sub-forums and it certainly has positive feedback.

7. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +141

Couldn't agree more. I thought I knew how to handle a superbike, then I went to a racetrack with a private tutor ... I knew nothing ... I still don't know much but, at least I have carried across some of the skills, better braking etc.