Honda CR-V 2007 Ipod Adapter

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by blisteringblue, Apr 29, 2007.

Tags:
  1. blisteringblue

blisteringblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    I posted this in ICE forum but with 7 views today it may get more response here, so pardon the cross posting.

I'm swapping my car this year (company car so luckily I just pick one and somebody else pays) and MP3 is a must. I have the dension ICELink in my current car at the moment and it's been superb.

I've decided on the new Honda CR-V but wondered if anybody out there has one and also bought the additional Ipod Adapter for the glove box?

The CR-V comes with an Auxilary Socket by default for generic MP3 but I'm not sure the extra Ipod Adapter is going to be worth the £225 they want for it.

What extra functionality am I going to get apart from charging the Ipod and possibly controlling via the steering wheel.

OK with the aux connector I would have to use the ipod to change tracks but I do that anyway with the Dension ICELink at the moment (the interaction with my current steering wheel stopped working a while ago) and I already have an ipod 12v charger if I ever need to use it.

I've read all sorts of horror reviews of the old Honda Music Link from the USA, but I don't know if this is one of those or the next generation from Honda.

At the moment I'm leaning towards keeping my £200 and just using the Aux connector but if anybody can post their experiences that would be great.

I may ask my local Honda dealership if they can demo it?

2. boroboys

boroboys

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Did you get any answers to this query? I am facing exactly the same dilemma!!

3. Falp

Falp
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That would be my option...:thumbsup:

Get a dock line-out to jack cable for even better sound than headphone jack! ;)

Just plugged an Aux In cable yesterday in my Becker and loved it... now I'm buying a Nano. :D

4. rorton

rorton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    I read a lot about the Honda iPod adapter on a Honda Accord forum, and a USA forum too about the acurra and they all slated it.

It 'locks' the iPod controls so you cant access the screen and all sorts of daft things. Im trying to find some links to some posts for you.

I bought a USA Spec adapter from Ebay which is great (granted, its for an Accord and not the CRV) but i have full control over the iPod, steering wheel operates the Ipod and generally a decent system.

Dont expect (if you have the Sat Nav) for any track names to be displayed on the stereo which is a waste, but cant have it all.

i'd stay away from the Honda system

5. Gary Parson

Gary Parson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I got one of these but from a UK seller the other week for £41 all in. It's genius, works a treat with ipods.

6. BabYonZ

BabYonZ

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Honda do deliver a CD with some software to create all the track names (tags) if you have the Sat Navi option... for your iPod, woks both on Mac and on Windows!!

Latest version only works with 4th generation of iPod..

ref: https://techinfo.honda.com
    Select Accesories users info... and it works for me... :thumbsup:

7. Ralsters

Ralsters

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I got one with my 2007 CRV. Not worth the extra cash!
    Okay it does charge the ipod, and you can hide it away in the upper glovebox whilst controlling it from either the stereo or the sterring wheel, but....you have to guess which track you are listening to as the screen on the stereo tells you absolutely nothing :(

8. drjohn

drjohn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just taken delivery of a new CR-V. I am disappointed and amazed how crap the Honda CR-V iPod adaptor is and feel quite cheated. On my previous Honda, I purchased a Pioneer radio with iPod adaptor and it gave a full read out of play lists and songs. The whole thing cost only a little more than the CR-V iPod adaptor. I hope someone at Honda reads this.

9. Flatcoat

Flatcoat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +42
    What about the Harmon Kardon Drive + Play device connected through your AUX input. I believe Halfords offer it for £80 inc. installation. You get a display on the dash and a click wheel type device to control the ipod. My ipod is kept in the glovebox.

The HK device was first connected through the aerial but it also has the option to connect to an AUX socket which when that was done in my car gave me much better sound quality.

10. blisteringblue

blisteringblue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +75
    Ouch, just catching up on an old thread I started. I'd read all the horror stories about the musiclink so I didn't bother in the end. Sorry to hear those that did feel a little cheated. As far as I understand the product got dropped in the states? Not sure about over here now.

I've still got the CR-V, and I happily ipod away with my Belkin Auto Kit and Tunedock holder. I got them both for under £20 on fleabay. Works a treat and you can dump the whole lot into the centre console storage rack when you leave the car so there is no signs of anything for Joe Scumbag to nick :mad:

The H&K Drive and Play looks ok but I think it would look ugly up on the dash. I've been looking at some of the DAB aux solutions and they also look quite ugly.

Overall happy with my setup :D

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
  11. drjohn

drjohn
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just revisiting this after a frustrating day at the Honda dealership. Not only is the Honda CR-V iPod adaptor very poor value for money, it often doesn't work. Explaining its malfunction to a Honda dealer is pointless - they don't have an iPod for test purposes, they don't know what a playlist is, and even if you show them, they still don't understand. You would be better off speaking in Mandarin.

The way the CR-V iPod adaptor works is to insist you create 7 playlists called "Honda1" through to "Honda7". It then treats these playlists as though they were separate CDs in a virtual CD autochanger - obviously to avoid Honda having to write any software specific to the device they are charging several hundred pounds for. I don't really want to use a third-party add-on device (eg Belkin) and the auxiliary audio input because you cannot change the track from the steering wheel control. I change tracks a lot. Furthermore, you need to make seperate connections for charging the device and it becomes a mess.

Even with the limited functionality the Honda device provides, it will not work with an iPhone (even 2G) and only about 50% of the time with an iPod classic. It often reports a "hardware error" and if that doesn't happen, its playlist and track navigation is totally unpredictable. I think I shall ask for my money back. Is there anyone anywhere in the world from Honda that can offer any input on this? If I could rip out the radio and change it to a Pioneer, I would.

12. sevoflurane

sevoflurane
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have a 2007 CRV with the Sat Nav and didn't bother with the iPod lead. I did have a spare PCMCIA-CompactFlash adapter, which fits the stereo. If you insert a CF card full of mp3s or WMAs you can navigate all of your songs using the Sat Nav screen, though to avoid too much button pressing it's worth picking a simple folder structure. Works very nicely, sounds good, and with 8GB CF cards being pretty cheap these days, you can get a lot of music on one card.

As a backup I have a Kensington iPod cable which charges / fits to the centre console 12V / 3.5mm sockets to give iPod / iPhone audio via that route; I have an iPhone 3G and charging on the move is very useful.

Both solutions work well with the Bluetooth functionality with audio muting when a phone call comes in.

13. Blu Ray

Blu Ray

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12
    Can't see this option anywhere. Has it moved?