• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Homeworld 3 (speculation)

AML

So its been about 3 years since Relic/THQ re acquired the rights to the Homeworld series from vivendi.

I was wondering if anyone has heard anything about a 3rd installment?

There is a chance Relic will announce something this summer.

After all, why buy the franchise if you dont intend to release a game?

Recently been playing HW2 complex mod (bloody mods too complex tho!) and it really got me hankering for a 3rd game!

http://www.homeworld2complex.com/

Lets hope we see a true sequel soon!! Best PC game EVAAAAAH :D

majnu

Distinguished Member
Gearbox will release high-definition remakes of Relic Entertainment's real-time strategy series for Windows PC, the original Homeworld and Homeworld 2, the company announced at its PAX Australia panel today. The company will also release the original two titles to digital distribution platforms for Windows PC.

Gearbox bought the Homeworld IP for $1.35 million in April, following the approved sale of publisher THQ's games and studios for $72 million in January. At the time, Gearbox issued a statement saying that Brian Martel, Gearbox Software's chief creative officer, only had great love and respect for the Homeworld franchise and "personally spearheaded the acquisition." The company said that preserving the Homeworld games is Martel's highest priority and intends on making "them accessible on today's leading digital platforms."

Developer Paul Zakrzewski launched a Kickstarter campaign to develop a real-time strategy/space combat simulator inspired by the Homeworld series called Void Destroyer. The campaign was successfully funded in June and is currently on Steam Greenlight.

The Relic Entertainment-developed Homeworld was initially released for Windows PC in 1999. The sequel, Homeworld 2, launched for Windows PC in 2003.

Gearbox releasing remakes of Homeworld and Homeworld 2 for Windows PC | Polygon

AML

Thanks for resurrecting!

Good news indeed. Give us all a reason to replay or play for the first time.

Hope they make the first one look as good as the 2nd one. Both still stand up really well these days.

If anyone is wondering about Cataclysm, apparently the code for the game was lost, and it was made by a different studio so its not clear if Gearbox got the rights to Cata with the other 2 games. Probably not.

Im sure it could be remade since it used the same engine as the first one.

As for HW3, i think if the remakes do really well, then im sure they will go ahead and fund a 3rd installment.

The remakes will probably get a steam release.

BontaKun3000

Thanks for resurrecting!

Good news indeed. Give us all a reason to replay or play for the first time.

Hope they make the first one look as good as the 2nd one. Both still stand up really well these days.

If anyone is wondering about Cataclysm, apparently the code for the game was lost, and it was made by a different studio so its not clear if Gearbox got the rights to Cata with the other 2 games. Probably not.

Im sure it could be remade since it used the same engine as the first one.

As for HW3, i think if the remakes do really well, then im sure they will go ahead and fund a 3rd installment.

The remakes will probably get a steam release.

Can't wait to get a hold of these, altho not the easiest games to play given some gameplay mechanics (the 3d thing could get a bit overwhelming at times) I simply loved the game for pretty much everything else.
Building your fleet and seeing it do battle was great, loved having my big ass battle cruisers wade in and pew pew everything!
Now while I love the setting and lore of HW, have to admit it really got exciting when I got my hands on a Star Wars mod, Star Destroyers doing the pew pew really would always put a stupid grin on your face:D

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom