Homesteading....

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Yohinan, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Yohinan

Yohinan
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Are there many/any individuals on here whom are into the self sufficient/sustainment lifestyle (small scale hobby farmers)? I'm wondering specifically about an item that here in the states is rarely utilized due to the move from small to large agricultural practices over the past few decades.

IMO this country is slowly but surely suffering by our own hands and I have an aversion to this which causes me to do exactly the opposite of "mainstream" society in the U.S.

The item I'm wondering about are two wheeled tractors for smaller plots of land and companies such as BCS and Grillo make them. BCS and Grillo from what I understand are huge outside of the US but here they are basically non existent. These are by no means a consumer grade product however financially there is no comparison when it comes to one of these "toys" versus the commercial/industrial agricultural market. Various implements are available for them just like the big boys but obviously greatly scaled down. There are soil working, mowing, snow removal, haymaking, hauling, chipping/shredding, seeding, generator, implements among various others. I'm just wondering if anyone has any personal experience using these and if so would you mind giving a little information on the product, how long you have owned/used one, good and bad points if any, any other pertinent information you may feel like sharing, etc.. TIA J

2. county angler

county angler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +133
    I've got a camon C8 (made by BCS) but only use it for rotovating as the other implements cost a fortune and a rare find 2nd hand. It's cheaper to buy a small tractor and get the implements for that as these are much more widely avaialble. Mine has a bullet proof honda engine which are cheap to run and service. Last week it started first pull after it's winter lay up. It's also usefull for dragging tree stumps etc around the farm. I expect once i buy a tractor it will only ever get used for rotovating the veg patch.