Homerdog's HD Lounge

homerdog

After seeing all of the fantastic DIY projects in here, I was inspired to have a go at redoing my lounge. I particularly like the look elootos has achieved, so I hope he doesn't mind if I have stolen any of his ideas!

There were a few ground rules laid down by SWMBO. She didn't want a home cinema; first and foremost it's supposed to be a lounge (I think I might have failed on this one!). She also didn't want any speakers on display. :thumbsdow

There were some inevitable compromises as a result and there are plenty of things I would have done differently (despite taking my time and trying not to rush anything).

First off, I removed some patio doors and replaced them with a window, but unfortunately I forgot to take a photo. I do have a couple of the replacement doors, or at least the hole I cut in the wall, which are now in the kitchen/diner.

build2.jpg

build1.jpg

Here is the lounge before I started, complete with obligatory naff fireplace.

build3.jpg

homerdog

On with the false chimney breast:

build5.jpg

build6.jpg

The shelf is for the electric fire to sit on and because it's quite tall, the height of the tv is therefore a bit higher than I would have liked. I fixed the battens to the wall with screw in plasterboard fixings and no more nails. Unfortunately, the blockwork behind the plasterboard is thermalite, which is rubbish for trying to fix any thing to. Anyway the tv mount seems solid enough!

build7.jpg

homerdog

One thing I now realise, is that you never take enough photos! I should have taken more so you can see what's going on, sorry if it's not obvious.

build8.jpg

Picture of the speaker cables that I threaded through the ceiling - what a tedious job that was! The electric cable you can see is the supply for the fire.

build12.jpg

Test mount of the tv to check it wouldn't fall off!

build9.jpg

build10.jpg

build11.jpg

homerdog

Another test fitting of the tv, this time to make sure that it sits equally between the battens - just about :thumbsup:

build14.jpg

Then it's time to make a start with the plasterboard:

build15.jpg

build16.jpg

build18.jpg

As you can see, I needed to add another layer of plasterboard to reduce the gap around the tv, slight miscalculation!

homerdog

More plasterboard:

build17.jpg

The fire is now in, I forgot to take any pictures of this because I got carried away with fitting the plasterboard.

build19.jpg

I think you can just about make out the fire in this side view:

build20.jpg

homerdog

Holes cut for in ceiling speakers

build13.jpg

KEF Ci 130

sp1.jpg

Engineered oak floor being laid:

build25.jpg

build26.jpg

We made the wrong choice with the floor, should have gone for a more uniform effect and wider boards, but we spent ages with the samples in the house and still got it wrong. Oh well! :(

homerdog

Floor finished and chimney breast plastered and painted. :thumbsup:

build27.jpg

I decided to build a shelf to put the electronics on. We had some wood left over from the floor, just enough to build a shelf either side of the chimney. More plasterboard fixings and 'no more nails'. Oh, and skirting on!

hc1.jpg

hc2.jpg

hc3.jpg

build30.jpg

build34.jpg

homerdog

I need to get some pictures on the wall now, can't decide what to put up yet, but I think something black and white. I want to use some of my own photos, just got to try and find something half decent. :)

RyanEsq

Standard Member
Wow!

Congratulations on a fantastic room, it looks awesome yet very discreet.

I am about to embark on building a multi room system for my new flat. Of course the centre piece will be the lounge your thread and pics look awesome, I hope I can produce something of that caliber!

One question, how deep did you make the centre wall to house the TV?

homerdog

Grangey. said:
Do you not get a sore neck watching tv sideways though???!

Good point! I originally had the sofas in a different arrangement, but the room looks better like this! We both sit lengthways on the sofas, feet up and it's actually more comfortable. It takes about two minutes to move them around if I get bored with it! :)

build42.jpg

Note lack of left hand shelf and Sky HD at this point!

RyanEsq

Standard Member
Im debating whether too house my system in the floating wall. I like the idea of having it all recessed back into the wall and covered with a tinted glass door. My only concern is that my amp (Onkyo 605) is somewhat large (37 cm deep).

I think to avoid making the wall extremely deep I would have to cut into the wall I am building ontop off.

Or the alternative is too build a hub for the setup in a different part of the room...

homerdog

RyanEsq said:
Im debating whether too house my system in the floating wall. I like the idea of having it all recessed back into the wall and covered with a tinted glass door. My only concern is that my amp (Onkyo 605) is somewhat large (37 cm deep).

I suppose it depends how big your room is. I think you could get away with it being 50cm deep without it being too imposing. :)

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Melco update improves N10, N100 and N1 EX digital libraries
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Loewe launches We.See TVs under new 'We. by Loewe' sub-brand
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Movies Podcast: 1st December 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Rumour: Samsung even closer to OLED TVs in 2022?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Audio-Technica launches ATH-SQ1TW true wireless earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom