Homeplugs

GuitarGuy

Distinguished Member
Looking to go from wireless to home plugs because I use my computer from gaming, the way the plugs are set up I'd need to have pass through sockets, dont plan on streaming so I take it 200 meg plugs would be about right? Looking for some recommendations for the most reliable and stable ones

Rich Marshall

Looking to go from wireless to home plugs because I use my computer from gaming, the way the plugs are set up I'd need to have pass through sockets, dont plan on streaming so I take it 200 meg plugs would be about right? Looking for some recommendations for the most reliable and stable ones

I've had these in constant use for around 6 months now - 200 Mbps is actually enough for streaming HD movies too :smashin:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TP-Link-T...Networking&hash=item4d00f6d1b6#ht_3123wt_1384

Haven't seen any decent ones with pass through yet.

Last edited:

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Theres a chart here on performance ,

Powerline Charts - Uplink Throughput - SmallNetBuilder

As you can see , theres a massive difference in actual performance between brands, but these are lab tests , and performance for you will depend on the wiring situation in your home.

In general though , most 200mbps units will enable you to stream without issue , even though your actual throughput could be as low as 40-50mbps depending on conditions.

Whatever you do , dont mix them.
Different speeds and even different brands of the same speed do not mix well together , so if you need more than two, get all the same model for the best results.

enigma1701

Theres a chart here on performance ,

Powerline Charts - Uplink Throughput - SmallNetBuilder

As you can see , theres a massive difference in actual performance between brands, but these are lab tests , and performance for you will depend on the wiring situation in your home.

In general though , most 200mbps units will enable you to stream without issue , even though your actual throughput could be as low as 40-50mbps depending on conditions.

Whatever you do , dont mix them.
Different speeds and even different brands of the same speed do not mix well together , so if you need more than two, get all the same model for the best results.

Thanks for the link to the chart andy! I've 200mbps just now and it "sometimes" jitters whenm streaming 8Gb mkvs never mind the bigger ones! Thopse netgear 500 nano's look just the ticket! :)
Cheers

mickevh

Distinguished Member
..."sometimes" jitters when streaming 8Gb mkvs...

The size of the files has no bearing on how "well" networking components transfer them. That's to say, a bigger file is no more or less likely to "jitter" than a smaller one. What matters is the average/max bit-rate required to sustain uninterrupted playback.

Networking components like Homeplugs, switches, routers, wi-fi etc. don't "know" about "files," all they understand is "packets." Basically, what matters is whether such components can transfer data packets between source and sink device regularly enough to sustain playback.

Imagine trying to read a book where the postman delivers each page to you one at a time. As long as each page turns up as you need it, you can keep reading without a problem. But if one is late, then you have to pause a bit whilst you wait for the next page to arrive. It doesn't matter if you're reading a 20 page book or a 200 page one, as long as the pages arrive in time, you get a "jitter free," er, "reading experience." If pages are late (or don't arrive at all) you'll jitter and/or drop out.

Better still would be to have a the next few pages "in hand" (buffered) just in case the postal service has an off day. Even then, if you read through all your "buffered" pages before the buffer is replenished, you'll still glitch when you run out of pages.

That's why you see all that "buffering" before playback starts - it's the players trying to get ahead of the game to try and cope with any glitches in the delivery.

enigma1701

Ahh I see, makes sense when put like that, I was assuming larger file size means more data to stream and it was hitting a bottle neck at times!

Surely either way a faster home plug should decrease the chances of the "pages" arriving late??

bryanchicken

i've got the 500 zyxel's in the chart. They are passthrough ones. Can stream a 25gb mkv fine.

Last edited:

enigma1701

bryanchicken said:
i've got the 50 zyxel's in the chart. They are passthrough ones. Can stream a 25gb mkv fine.

Thanks! I think they might be just the ticket!

andy1249

Distinguished Member
Ahh I see, makes sense when put like that, I was assuming larger file size means more data to stream and it was hitting a bottle neck at times!

Surely either way a faster home plug should decrease the chances of the "pages" arriving late??

Its not file size that matters , more file content.

I assume an 8GB mkv file is going to be HD material , so depending on the codec used ( MKV is a container not a codec) then the Bandwidth needed for judder free playback can be anything from 8mbps to 25mbps.

Note that 25mbps is enough to stream Blu ray ISO's judder free.

In comparison , a DVD ISO of 8GB , being SD material , would require half or less of that bandwidth for judder free playback , less data per second , less bandwidth you see.

There are other factors to take into account with homeplugs of course.

Multiple users at the same time will considerably affect performance, so if your trying to watch a HD movie and you have others in the house surfing the net or playing online games on the same network then you may see problems. That bandwidth will be split between users.

Processing power of standalone NAS boxes can also be a bottleneck. For example the original netgear readynas duo , with is fairly basic sparc processor , struggled badly with streaming of HD material , and so on.

Last edited:

rcaudwell

My homeplugs are also massively affected by what other appliances are on in the house at the time. If the washing machine or dehumidifier are running my speeds slow by about 50%.

andy1249

Distinguished Member
My homeplugs are also massively affected by what other appliances are on in the house at the time. If the washing machine or dehumidifier are running my speeds slow by about 50%.

Yes , thats a fairly common problem , lots of household appliances will affect throughput , but they are still the second best option to running an ethernet cable for most people.

In the vast majority of cases they will outperform wireless for streaming HD material , because that particular frequency ( 2.4 ghz ) is now swamped with a multitude of devices.

Directly connected Ethernet ( Cat5e or Cat6 ) would be the best of course , but that can be a big messy wiring job and normally doesnt go down too well with the Missus.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom