HomePlugs working, but not "working"!?

Xstyle

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I have the TPLink 200 HomePlugs, as used with a WHS. Not been used for about a year.... one just stopped working, of the three in operation, so replaced. Via the TPLink Utility App, I can see on the PC that the HomePlug base device is connected, and two further HomePlug connections are available and visible.

However, when I go to my Router to see what devices are connected, the HomePlugs aren't shown at all. The TPLink utility diagnostics only show the base station as connected.

So does this mean the HomePlugs are faulty? But then why are they showing as paired in the TPLink Utility app and available?
If I buy a new set, or two, will I be ok again??

Original thread for my set up is here.... Dune H1 Smart, with my-HTPC Home Media Server.
MyMovies 4 & Dune | AVForums

Appreciate any assistance you can provide.
Thanks.

Your router will not show basic homeplugs as they do not require an IP address of their own (they're "transparent"). If the homeplug has additional features (most common is a WiFi AP) then it might show up as the AP functionality usually requires an IP address to administer.

Be aware when adding extra homeplugs that they have to share the available bandwidth on your mains, so overall performance (of the homeplug links) will drop off as more are added.

Thanks, but they should show the device that is connected?
When I had my Netgear router with O2 BB my server and Dune media player would show up.

Recently moved to Sky Fibre, and they don't. That's my issue...?

Sorry, I misunderstood- yes, you should see the devices that the homeplugs are connected to. I use a homeplug link to connect a WiFi Access Point and WD TV Live media player, both devices have IP addresses in my router's DHCP table.

So if the HomePlugs are showing as paired and connected in the TP Link Utility (the HomePlugs connection status) what could be the issue?

Are the devices connected by the homeplugs working (i.e. can they access the rest of your network) ? Is it just that they don't appear in your router's DHCP table ? Do they have DHCP assigned IP adressess, or have you given them static IP addresses ?

If you've bought a new Homeplug, and just plugged it in, it may need to pair up the existing plugs that are there. What I usually do is unplug all the plugs, then replug them in one by one, starting with "Parent" plug first. Some units come with a reset switch, which enables re-paring of the plugs.

If you've bought a new Homeplug, and just plugged it in, it may need to pair up the existing plugs that are there. What I usually do is unplug all the plugs, then replug them in one by one, starting with "Parent" plug first. Some units come with a reset switch, which enables re-paring of the plugs.
This is exactly what I needed to do with the ones my dad bought for integrating with an existing Powerline network (I think they are all TP Links, too). Recently, I had to reset (powering off was not enough) the HomePlug I have connected to my own router; no upgrade, just the Powerline network just stopped working. Like any tech, it can be flaky sometimes. :D

i had an issue with some new homeplugs i bought, wouldn't pair with the tplink ones i had,
a quick search found a firmware upgrade for the tplink homeplugs did the job and now all is working fine.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom