Homeplugs will they work?!

cpc3232

Standard Member
Reaction score
I need to sort out my network!

I have my pc,360, and ps3 in my tv room but the mains socket for my broadband is down a 20m or so hallway,to solve this problem i installed a sort of extension from it and this has worked fine for my other broadband. (had a small drop but nt a big difference in performance) Problem is that ive recently changed to be broadband and when i connect my netgear router into the mains socket i get close to 18-19mb but on the extension its fall down to 8 or so. What i want to know is can i buy one of those homeplug sets and will they work?! also do i need to buy 3 pairs? one pair for each device? hw much of a performance drop is there when they are on a extension n do they work on surge protectors?

You should just need two homeplugs. One for your BeBox and One near your TV which you then connect to an ethernet switch. I just got the Netgear FS605 five port 10/100 switch. From that you can run cables to your PC, PS3 and 360. See links:

Netgear Powerline HD
Netgear FS605

:hiya:

Problem is that ive recently changed to be broadband and when i connect my netgear router into the mains socket i get close to 18-19mb but on the extension its fall down to 8 or so.

It sounds like you're already using some kind of homeplug setup, or am I reading this wrong?

I assumed he meant an ADSL or telephone extension cable??

Just to clarify you need ONE HomePlug adapter for each device that you want to put on the Homeplug network. For example: A router, a PS3, an Xbox, and a PC would require four.

Just to clarify you need ONE HomePlug adapter for each device that you want to put on the Homeplug network. For example: A router, a PS3, an Xbox, and a PC would require four.

I was under the impression that you could use a Switch to connect to the 'Other' end of the network after reading a post from these very forums. I have bought my switch but haven't needed to connect it up just yet as I only need to connect my 360 at this moment. I should be severely disappointed if I have been mislead! :(

Don't worry I don't think beerhunter's list was meant to be exhaustive.. :)

Also a switch and router are essentially the same thing, i.e a way to make a single connection into more connections.

That's Ok then!

Basically, I have my BeBox connected to one Netgear plug in my upstairs office. The 'Other' Netgear plug is down in the living room next to my TV. Like I said, I plan to connect my Netgear Switch to that one so that I can network my 360, PS3 and Toshiba HD-DVD. The last two devices are yet to arrive yet though... :D

Its a very similar setup to what I have. In my cinema/media room I have a netgear wifi router plugged into my wan. One of the ports is then plugged into a 200mbs homeplug. the other plugs drive xbox360 and an onkyo amp. The PS3 when it gets replaced will be in here too. Also plugged in is an 85mbs homeplug that allows the router to bridge between my 200mbs network and a 14mbs network running IP security cameras. Although the cameras are being returned because I cant get them to talk properly to the linux software I intend to use so replacing them with wifi versions.

Upstairs in our study I have another 200mb homeplug plugged into a gigabit switch. From that there are two PCs and a NAS (although the NAS has been rebuilt and will be in the garage on another homeplug!).

In the living room I have an appleTV, TiVo (although wired up I hardly ever use it now) and a PS3 (before that was stolen, but its replacement will be in my multimedia room/cinema). They normally use wifi (except the TiVo) but if there is a lot of updates I plug in a homeplug instead and use a wired connection.

Oh cool. As I have just set up my network, how do I test the speed of it? One end is at my BeBox and the otehr on my 360, I can't see any tests on the 360??

When I tested the speed of my network I used a project called iperf. Its a client/server test tool.

You run one part of the package on one machine on one end of the network and on another machine on the other end of the network you have run the other side of the software.

they basically ping between each other with differning sizes of packets and come up with your network speed.

You need 2 pcs tho - I used a laptop wandering around the house with a homeplug plugged in it :)

I was getting around 85mbs on a 200mbs device. I then tightened all the screws in all the connections in all the plugs I could get to (without having to pull washers and dishwashers out) and re-ran the tests. I now get around 115-120mbs

[edit] http://sourceforge.net/projects/iperf

Thought as much. I think at present, its quicker using the 360 wireless bridge!

I need to get both Netgear plugs connected to the main sockets rather than the surge protectors they are connected to now! :rolleyes:

surge protecters will kill the signal from the homeplugs becaused it would see it as noise and try and suppress it

Assuming the PS3 and xBox are located next to each other, you could install a network switch on the home plug to serve these devices, this would eliminate the requirement of at least one homeplug, as switches can be had from as little as £5 these days.

EDIT:

Just noticed you said they are all in one room, so the switch could serve them all, reducing your homeplug requirement to 2.

thanks for the help guys!

Yea they are all in the one room ive got a old netgear router which i dont use with be as its incompatible but i could use that as a switch couldnt i?

Ive had a look at that netgear 1 looks good anyone got any other suggestions?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom