Homeplugs question!

deardai

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone!

Could somebody tell me if I need a router to connect my pc and ps3 via the homeplugs, or can I still do that via the regular ADSL modem?

Get a router as suggested, normally linksys and netgear are recommeded

Cheers guys!

Talk Talk offering me one for free if I stick with them for another 18 months, don't know if their routers are any good.

Ask them what model they'd provide and then find some reviews of it?

Couldn't find much reviews on their router, but may just go for it

I would say that it depends upon your ADSL Modem. If it is a USB Model that is plugged into your PC, then you will need a router. If, on the other hand, you have an Ethernet modem, you may be able to get away with using a network switch

I just phoned Talk Talk, their router has got only one ethernet port. So as I understand I will need 3 homeplugs; 1 -connect to router, 2 -connect to pc and 3 -connect to ps3. So one ethernet port should do. Please correct me if I am wrong.

I just phoned Talk Talk, their router has got only one ethernet port. So as I understand I will need 3 homeplugs; 1 -connect to router, 2 -connect to pc and 3 -connect to ps3. So one ethernet port should do. Please correct me if I am wrong.

That would work but if the PS3 and PC are in thee same room a better (and cheaper) solution would be connect the PS3 and PC to a 10/100 Ethernet switch and then connect the switch to a Homeplug. Then connect the router to a Homeplug.

If everything is in the same room just use the switch.

Thanks beerhunter!

Pc and ps3 are in the different rooms

And another must be silly question. I assume I don't need wireless desktop network card (unless I want to go wireless) as the homeplugs will do the job. :rolleyes:

Thanks guys, very helpful!

Just renew my contract with Talk Talk, the router should be arriving in the next couple of days.

Just to say, I councur with my learned AVF Colleagues - no wireless desktop card required.

WRT the question about the router from TalkTalk (one ethernet port) if you are using HomePlugs you will be fine, just plug the HomePlug into the router, and then plug your PC/PS3/XBOX into another HomePlug. As a tip, I would suggest you use one (or more) of the Solwise 3-port HomePlugs found here. I have 3 of these, and they are spot on - and from only £30.16 each!

Thanks for the link !

I was going to ask which homeplugs you people would recommend, then saw your post. Still waiting for the router to come.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom