• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Homeplugs question!

deardai

Hi Everyone!

Could somebody tell me if I need a router to connect my pc and ps3 via the homeplugs, or can I still do that via the regular ADSL modem?

deardai

Cheers guys!

Talk Talk offering me one for free if I stick with them for another 18 months, don't know if their routers are any good.

whitters366

I would say that it depends upon your ADSL Modem. If it is a USB Model that is plugged into your PC, then you will need a router. If, on the other hand, you have an Ethernet modem, you may be able to get away with using a network switch

deardai

I just phoned Talk Talk, their router has got only one ethernet port. So as I understand I will need 3 homeplugs; 1 -connect to router, 2 -connect to pc and 3 -connect to ps3. So one ethernet port should do. Please correct me if I am wrong.

beerhunter

Distinguished Member
I just phoned Talk Talk, their router has got only one ethernet port. So as I understand I will need 3 homeplugs; 1 -connect to router, 2 -connect to pc and 3 -connect to ps3. So one ethernet port should do. Please correct me if I am wrong.

That would work but if the PS3 and PC are in thee same room a better (and cheaper) solution would be connect the PS3 and PC to a 10/100 Ethernet switch and then connect the switch to a Homeplug. Then connect the router to a Homeplug.

If everything is in the same room just use the switch.

deardai

And another must be silly question. I assume I don't need wireless desktop network card (unless I want to go wireless) as the homeplugs will do the job. :rolleyes:

deardai

Thanks guys, very helpful!

Just renew my contract with Talk Talk, the router should be arriving in the next couple of days.

whitters366

Just to say, I councur with my learned AVF Colleagues - no wireless desktop card required.

WRT the question about the router from TalkTalk (one ethernet port) if you are using HomePlugs you will be fine, just plug the HomePlug into the router, and then plug your PC/PS3/XBOX into another HomePlug. As a tip, I would suggest you use one (or more) of the Solwise 3-port HomePlugs found here. I have 3 of these, and they are spot on - and from only £30.16 each!

deardai

Thanks for the link !

I was going to ask which homeplugs you people would recommend, then saw your post. Still waiting for the router to come.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom