Homeplugs - Improving speed over 2 floors ?

super-saint

Hi

I am trying to stream music/videos from my PC to PS3 using homeplugs...my PS3 is sat downstairs whilst my PC/router sits in an upstairs bedroom.

Due to performance issues trying to stream wireless, I went down the homeplugs route but am seeing little or no improvement....... it takes around 15 seconds to buffer an MP3 & then another 15 seconds between tracks. :eek:

To test I connected up PC in lounge next to PS3 & used homeplugs across same room & got the buffer down to around 4 seconds...not perfect but have to except that this is an PS3 issue as my xbox360 is perfect :mad:

I own a newish house (20 years) so would hope that internal wiring is OK BUT from my little understanding of electrics I can only assume that the performance issue is due to upstairs being on a different circuit ring ?? But still would not expect it to be this bad.

So is there anything I can do to help improve this situation ??

Thanks

Andy98765

Distinguished Member
The speed will be governed by the slowest connection on your internal network.
Assumptions.
PC and PS3 connected through router.
Lets say the PC has a 1 GIG port
The PS3 a 100mb port (only guessing here)
Homeplugs can do 200Mb
Router has 10mB ports. (Guessing again as this is a common speed)

Then the max speed available to you would 10Mb as everything passes through the router.

This can be over come by connecting all the items into a 1Gig switch as the router is now not a factor in the equation but the final speed is down to the PS3 which would = 10 times faster than you have got now..

stormy

So is there anything I can do to help improve this situation ??

Can't really help but I found the same, wireless performance for me is *better* than the 85Mbps homeplugs I borrowed from my friend. I am glad I borrowed them to try first. They were very disapointing for me. My house is only 15 years old and I would have thought the wiring would have been good enough. I only have one ring main too.

:(

super-saint

Update;

Last night i moved my PC into the next room to the lounge (on same ground floor & only about 5 meters from PS3).....connected up homeplugs & then tried to stream across to PS3.

Results were again 15 seconds to buffer a MP3 yet if I move my PC into lounge and place homeplugs just across room then PS3 will only buffer for around 5 seconds.

What can be causing this difference ? The theory of upstairs on a different ring obviously does not apply.

I have un-plugged my cordless phones to see if these were effecting it...no difference.

Read somewhere that I may need to open each socket & tighten up all wiring but anything else that I can check ?

So frustrating :suicide:

cswilly

Standard Member
:lesson:

Are you using any power-strips?

If you plug-in a homeplug modem into a power-strip and the power-strip has other things (e.g. computers, PS3 power-supply, etc.), then your performance will be degraded--sometimes a lot.

Also if you use using a serge-protected power-strip, that will kill your performance too.

delta.turbo

If you plug-in a homeplug modem into a power-strip and the power-strip has other things (e.g. computers, PS3 power-supply, etc.), then your performance will be degraded--sometimes a lot.

Also if you use using a serge-protected power-strip, that will kill your performance too.

I am just reading this as I have no idea what a homeplug is and I guess a power-strip is an extension cable?

Anyway I am running my PC and modem in my apartment in the bedroom, the PS3 is in the living room wirelessly and I get 65% connection, the streaming etc works fine and I dont really notice any major delays / problems but I am using a Surge Protected extension (this one)
Buy 12 Gang 4M Surge Tower with Telecom. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .

Could this have any impact on my PS3 only getting 65% connection from my modem as the apartment is only about 4yrs old and I was wondering why my connection is not closer to 100% for my internet useage and gaming online for PS3 bearing in mind they are not far from one another.

It works fine and has the odd error disconnection wise but thats ok at the moment.

super-saint

Nope...the plugs are both straight in the wall.

graham.myers

Distinguished Member
as a test why dont you plug both machines into the router and bypass the homeplugs if you can

that way if you still get the delay then it cant be your wiring/homeplugs

just a way of ticking things off it cant be

bubs999

I am just reading this as I have no idea what a homeplug is and I guess a power-strip is an extension cable?

Anyway I am running my PC and modem in my apartment in the bedroom, the PS3 is in the living room wirelessly and I get 65% connection, the streaming etc works fine and I dont really notice any major delays / problems but I am using a Surge Protected extension (this one)
Buy 12 Gang 4M Surge Tower with Telecom. at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for .

Could this have any impact on my PS3 only getting 65% connection from my modem as the apartment is only about 4yrs old and I was wondering why my connection is not closer to 100% for my internet useage and gaming online for PS3 bearing in mind they are not far from one another.

It works fine and has the odd error disconnection wise but thats ok at the moment.

That won't affect your wireless connection. How far away is the PS3 and the router? Whats in between them? what channel is the router on? (located in the wireless settings of the router).

My PS3 is in the living room, with the router upstairs (room directly above it) and I get 100% connection.

super-saint

as a test why dont you plug both machines into the router and bypass the homeplugs if you can

that way if you still get the delay then it cant be your wiring/homeplugs

just a way of ticking things off it cant be

I have tried that...got the perfect result of only a 1 sec buffer. I have literally tried every combination under the sun & come to the conclusion it has to the wiring (although beats me as to why xbox is fine :confused:)

I will check the wiring inside every plug at weekend BUT looking like I will have to buy a 30 metre ethernet cable & take it up thru loft & down to lounge :( Thats going to be fun.

graham.myers

Distinguished Member
the difference between the ps3 and xbox is probably down to how they buffer.

the xbox (and ipod and others) buffer the next track before its needed. the ps3 sounds like it doesnt bother.

connecting at 100mb on ethernet allows the ps3 to buffer quite quickly rather than relying on its buffer to have everything prepared and ready when its needed

delta.turbo

That won't affect your wireless connection. How far away is the PS3 and the router? Whats in between them? what channel is the router on? (located in the wireless settings of the router).

My PS3 is in the living room, with the router upstairs (room directly above it) and I get 100% connection.

Would need to go through my bedroom wall, into daughters room, through that into the living room mate
Distance wise not that far but I guess there are a few walls in the way which could effect it, how do I find out what channel the router is on??? I am not that good with these things, I was going to move the router into the living room and get a wireless dongle thing for PC and leave the PS3 wireless from the other side of the living room, would this work better?

mickevh

Distinguished Member
Most wifi routers let you configure which wifi channel they use. Some will default to (say) C1, some will try and automatically choose the "best" channel (with varying success.)

There are a couple of free wifi survey tools you can download and run up on a Windows laptop to take a look at wich radio channels are in use. Try InSSIDer or NetStumbler (the former is easier to use and runs under Vista.)

t72bogie

powerline adapters (homeplug or UPA standard) are affected by interference on the power circuit - like wireless is in the airwaves

the background noise builds up on the ring main, the more "noisy" devices you have plugged in

homeplug and UPA models deal with different interference differently within their protocol stacks, so you may have some 200Mbps Homeplug AV adapters perform better in one place and some 200Mbps UPA (DS2 chips) work better in others

dont plug the adapter into a power strip next to other devices

dont use any power strip (if you have to) with any sort of surge protection etc (it will filter out the link)

try to plug directly into the wall

avoid "noisy" devices plugged in e.g. switched mode transformers (common on mobile phones) up/down transformers (like on low voltage halogen lamps) low voltage light bulbs (table lamp perhaps)

plug one of these things into a double socket, next to your powerline adapter and watch the bandwidth halve ...plug another in somwhere else in the same ring main, watch it halve again - yes, it can really be that bad on the early adapters, and with the noisest devices

so yeah, you can get 85Mbps (a real 30-40Mbps throughput) on a clean piece of cable in the lab, but in the real world, with 1/2 dozen things plugged in 2 rooms away 10Mbps would be doing well

so to give yourself the best chance - start at 200Mbps, the latest ones have better algorithms and FEC mechanisms to deal with interference - you can usually get a real 40-50Mpbs out of them :smashin:

super-saint

Cheers for the advise

This weekend I will be unplugging everything in the house & see what happens :eek: if results are better, I will replace one at a time to find the offending item.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom