Homeplugs for internet, wireless bridge for TV?

raymallon

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello
I am looking for some advice on the best way to set up my cable TV and internet. I live in Belgium, and the TV is supplied by Belgacom.
The cable modem / router combination (which has wifi) is plugged into the WAN socket in the downstairs hallway.
The cable TV decoder is in the living room (adjacent to the hallway), and I do not want to drill holes for cabling.
Floors in the house are concrete, with the result that the wifi signal upstairs is too weak to be at all reliable. I will soon have an iMac in the study upstairs which will need a wired connection.

I had thought that homeplugs would be the solution for everything, but then realised that to have tv and Internet being transmitted that way I would need two sets of plugs.

Would there be any way to pass the tv signal from cable modem to cable box via a wireless bridge (independent of the WAN), and use homeplugs for the internet (thinking of the Devolo dLAN AV500+ wifi kit, to allow for wired connection to the iMac upstairs and wifi for iPads, phones etc)?

Thanks in advance

Typically cable boxes use their own coax cable to transfer TV signal that is not something you can turn into wireless.

Is the cable decoder TV box not already hooked up to this coax cable, why would you want it connected to the internet network link unless the box has some internet media functions ?

it might be useful if you cite the exact make model of your equipment - it's usually on the "serial number" labels wherever they may be. Thence, there are often people here who know the kit that can advise you what you need.

it might be useful if you cite the exact make model of your equipment - it's usually on the "serial number" labels wherever they may be. Thence, there are often people here who know the kit that can advise you what you need.

It's the Belgacom b-box 2 (pictured on the left at this link).

Typically cable boxes use their own coax cable to transfer TV signal that is not something you can turn into wireless.

Is the cable decoder TV box not already hooked up to this coax cable, why would you want it connected to the internet network link unless the box has some internet media functions ?

No not hooked up. I would like to replace the connection between the modem in the hall and the decoder in the living room (which would otherwise be wired using RJ45 connected cable) with a wireless alternative, to avoid drilling holes / trailing cable. The wireless bridge that I spoke of would not be connected to the WAN, only a bridge specifically for the link between the modem and the decoder.

The homeplugs would be for the internet connection (nothing to do with the tv itself).

Wait so this isn't really a cable system, it's an IPTV system were the TV comes through their router via the Internet and the TV decoder box receives the TV "signal" via ethernet is that correct ?

If so then yes you can use a wireless bridge but performance may be a gamble, it would be easier and more reliable to just buy a 3 or 4 pack of homeplugs.

Wait so this isn't really a cable system, it's an IPTV system were the TV comes through their router via the Internet and the TV decoder box receives the TV "signal" via ethernet is that correct ?

If so then yes you can use a wireless bridge but performance may be a gamble, it would be easier and more reliable to just buy a 3 or 4 pack of homeplugs.
Thanks. Yes, IPTV it is. Would two sets of homeplugs (one for tv, the other for internet) be needed then, one set to take the IPTV signal, the other for internet access (each running from a separate connection at the back of the router)? If yes, any chance of interference between the two sets?

No not needed, homeplugs can be synced so you can just use three, watch this demo.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom