Question Homeplug speeds

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by greatcapp, Jul 6, 2015.

1. greatcapp

greatcapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm hoping to get a little advice on speeds.

I have a setup of 8 homeplugs (Devolo & a couple of other brands) all running at the 200Mbps speed.

What type of speeds should I expect if I am transferring files across my network?

I get roughly 10MB/s if i access my NAS drives directly transferring a file of maybe 5gb in size.

Using homeplugs, i get roughly 5MB/s moving exactly the same file.

All ethernet cables are either cat 6 or cat5e.

Is this about right do you think?

And finally, if I upgraded to these Zyxel PLA5206 review: 1000 Mbps power-line | Hardware.Info United Kingdom (which this site seems to like) am I actually likely to see better speeds?

Many thanks.

2. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,754
    The "protocol efficiency" for HomePlug technology is often cited at about 50% so 5MB/s average throughput over a 200mbps link is in the right ball park.

One of the subtleties often "missed" by HomePlug users is their "Half Duplex" operating paradigm (same as Wi-Fi incidentally.) Basically that means only one HP at a time can be transmitting over the mains. With 8 of them, that's potentially quite a tussle for some "air time" on the mains circuit (though this is happening hundreds/thousands of times per second.) The more HP's you have, the more network traffic, the more potential "congestion" there will be.

Much like the road network, simple system in the middle of the night. No problem. But the more complex the network, the more hassle it gets and of course, in rush hour when demand if high, congestion occurs.

Faster plugs may help, Greg Hook at AVF reviews them from time to time. However, all anyone can say is they should be faster. By how much depends on your mains circuit. So a five fold increase in potentially link rate (200 to 1000) might not yield a 5 fold increase in throughput if your mains can't handle the extra speed and the HP's have to settle for something lower than 1000mbps link rates.

3. greatcapp

greatcapp
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Many thanks for the input.

Of the 8 plugs i use, 3 of these have IP cameras connected to them, 1 is connected to my router, 1 is connected to a Phillips Hue Hub, and 3 are connected to Apple TVs or Android set top boxes.

The issue is, occasionally, I struggle to maintain a stable video stream. ALL of my media is in 720p, but with varying bitrates. Usually, if just one machine is streaming then everything is fine, but if 2 Media streamers are in action, i think that's where my problems sometimes occur.

I could possibly take a couple of cameras out of the equation and try them on wireless, and possibly the Phillips Hue too. I'm guessing from your previous comment, that may help by having less plugs on the network?

Thanks again.