Homeplug Problems

jeromewilson

Standard Member
So I was wondering if anyone here has any tips for me...

I've got a couple of Zyxel PLA401 200Mbs Homeplug adapters and they're really not working very well. One's plugged into the router upstairs and the other is plugged into the Popcorn Hour A110 downstairs. The problem is I'm only getting a maximum transfer rate of 1.4 MBs and last night they refused to connect at all.

Looking at the fuse box there are two trip switches, amongst the others, marked 'Sockets 1' and 'Sockets 2'. I'm guessing that there may well be a ring for upstairs and a ring for downstairs which is why they're having so much trouble.

I thought I might wander around with a laptop and do some speed tests on various sockets, in case there's another one nearby that works better and is reachable without tooo much cat5.

Any other ideas?

graystreet

Hmmm...They should pass across rings ok if they terminate at the same fusebox.

The first thing I'd try is to plug them into adjacent sockets on the same ring to see if they're working properly there.

Are they plugged directly into the sockets? If you're using extensions of any sort try taking these out of the equation to see if that improves things.

Finally another chap on here, I can't find the post at the moment, improved things a lot by going round all of his sockets and tightening up the wiring connections. Only try this if you feel confident doing it and don't forget to turn off the power first....!

beerhunter

Novice Member
Looking at the fuse box there are two trip switches, amongst the others, marked 'Sockets 1' and 'Sockets 2'. I'm guessing that there may well be a ring for upstairs and a ring for downstairs which is why they're having so much trouble.
Homeplugs will cross Ring Circuits connected to the same Consumer Unit - or at least they should.

jeromewilson

Standard Member
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Both homeplugs are going straight into the wall, so no extensions to worry about. The house is only 10 years old so I would have thought that the wiring would be in reasonable shape but I guess that's no guarantee. The fusebox does have some sort of RCD earth fault trip doodad but I'm guessing that shouldn't make any difference.

So, tightening the connections... sounds a bit scary but I guess it wouldn't be too bad.

Mr Lazy

Another thing that might be worth trying is unplugging everything else on the same ring.

Calpolaholic

Novice Member
I have a similar issue althought I only have the 85Mbps homeplugs. The max I have managed in a file copy is 3.2Mbps (between 2 XP OS machines), Speedtest has shown good pings and upto 5Mbps, average download speed from a single souce not p2p) is about 350 kbps.

The bandwidth I seem to achieve isnt that great. In fact I would say that wireless is actually working better in my house (house 12 years old). I am not sure that they are actually that great now although one of my issues is that on VISTA network bandwidth is seriously choked compared to XP when it comes to file transfer.

I have heard that tightening up all your leccy connections can be a good idea but obviously something you would have to be be very careful doing!! IMO that would not be worth the hassle. For now I am going to stick a wireless NIC into my HTPC and see if that performs any better. Its the cheapest least hassle method of testing out which LAN system is best.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: The Best TVs and Projectors of 2020, plus AV, TV Show & Movie News & Reviews
Top Bottom