Question HomeKit compatible light switches

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by Melon, Aug 18, 2018.

1. Melon

Melon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I am finally looking into some smart home lighting as I’ve convinced my missus it’s a good idea.

At the moment all I want is one bulb to be controlled by our HomePod. So we can just say turn on/off the light.

Do I need to buy a hub or is there just a bulb or light fitting I can get which will work?

I think we will add more later but we have 12 spotlights in the kitchen and light fittings with 5 bulbs each in rooms downstairs, so that would be extremely expensive!

2. Chester

Chester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +739
    The two companies that I'd normally recommend are either not bringing out products fast enough or don't natively have Siri/HomeKit integration. HomeKit is a strange one, and there hasn't been as much AirPlay 2 uptake either. Still early days, but it feels like I've been saying that for a long time.

3. m11rphy

m11rphy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    I have lightwave gen 2 switches, not the cheapest but work with HomeKit and have been 100% stable for me. currently have 5 installed

4. Chester

Chester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +739
    Yeah LWRF Gen 2 is one of them I was going to suggest, but no 3-gang dimmers yet, and I contacted support to see if they're doing black nickel any time soon and they have no plans to, in fact suggesting a custom finish. Nice that they're offering this, but that also means that any replacement units are going to be custom build too.

5. Melon

Melon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Thanks but that needs a link plus doesn’t it? I was trying to avoid an extra control box.

6. Chester

Chester

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +739
    All of these systems require a control unit of some description and cannot be avoided, be it Hue, LWRF, Loxone, Rako, Control 4. The way they go about their business is very different, but all require some sort of control unit. How else is it supposed to work?

7. m11rphy

m11rphy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +161
    Having a hub is actually a bonus there is no way I would want another 20 plus wireless devices on my network. I have a Lightwave, hue and Tado hub and Its definitely a better solution