Homehub 3-replace? Pls help!

Discussion in 'BT Broadband' started by JamesP1701, Feb 21, 2014.

1. JamesP1701

JamesP1701

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +464
    Hi all,

I wonder if I may get some advice. I currently have standard BT broadband and a home hub 3. We've noticed slowdown/erratic perrformance. Particularly, when playing online on one device and facetimeing on another or surfing on one and downloading on another.

Can anyone advise? Is this simply the homehub being a bit rubbish and worth an upgrade?

Many thanks.

James

2. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,725
    Has it always been like this or has it deteriorated recently..?

Digital electronics generally doesn't "wear out" and gradually deteriorate - when it fails it tends to be sudden and catastrophic rather than a gradual decline.

If you know anyone that could lend you an alternate HH to test with, that would give you an idea of whether your particular unit is at fault or it's upstream (like your line) or a problem with a local device.

If you're using wi-fi it would be worth testing wired to establish whether it's a wi-fi issue (such as interference.)

Bear in mind that your Internet bandwidth (and wi-fi) is finite - the more things there are competing for it, the more you need, the more likely things are to trip over each other.

3. JamesP1701

JamesP1701

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +464
    Thanks for this. I have tested a different home hub-the same result.

I'm trying to just work out whether a different, non BT, router would do the job.

4. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,725
    Sounds like it's not an issue with your router, more likely to be something up with your Internet service or your local devices.

The best thing would be to try some alternate client devices, try wired versus wi-fi connection - basically you need to slog through testing methodically and determine where the culprit is.