1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Homecall Broadband number to dial????

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by INchSHOrT, Dec 11, 2004.

1. INchSHOrT

INchSHOrT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Does anyone know The homecall Broadband number and how I can retrieve this info from my comp, as I would like to set up a manual account, and not install their software.

I have already installed the software and connected using the homecall software, but is has made the computer really slow, and there is a number of 'other' processes running that I thinnk is spy/adware.
    My plan is to install a fresh copy of windows and set up the connection myself again.

So does anyone know how to retrieve this number that the adsl broadband modem dials to connect to the net??

Thanks for any help u may be able to provide

2. KraGorn

KraGorn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I didn't think ADSL modems did any dialling, hence there being classified as 'always on'. What makes you think a number is being dialled?

Are you referring to this ISP?

3. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +546
    On 1mb and below, there's usually a dialup sequence, but it's almost instant, so you probably wouldn't notice. I'm on Pipex, and my old ADSL modem used to dial out to 0,38, and I still have these settings in my Netgear router, under VPI and VCI. Can't find a number for Homecall though, sorry. :confused:

4. Steve Bate

Steve Bate

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I also thought ADSL was a permanent connection, isn't that the point of having the microfilters, to seperate voice and data so your phone can "hear" a dialtone rather than the electronic handshaking that would be going on in the background from a data call?

Now I'm confused, if it's not always on how does mail work, does it dial up and poll every so often, if so is this configurable?

Steve

5. INchSHOrT

INchSHOrT
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have BT Braodband at work, and that is set-up using a manual connection, and it dials the 0'38....

That is why I am assuming this ADSL braodband must do the same.

Hence, I require the knowledge of retrieveing this info from the computer.

6. .Griff.

.Griff.

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +74
    ADSL doesn't dial any telephone numbers. The "0" is commonly used just to force the port open and "38" is to deactivate call waiting iirc.

7. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +546
    Once you've opened up your internet browser (preferably Firefox ;)) for the first time, and dialled in, that's it, your connection's always on. As long as you don't turn the PC off, you'll be connected. :thumbsup:

8. SeaneyC

SeaneyC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    It's my understanding that when an ADSL modem "dials up" it first has establish the network connection with the exchange, then has to be authorised onto the network with the username and password your ISP supplied to you.