Homebridge & RPi - Siri control of Zwave

Discussion in 'Smart Home, Climate Control & Security Forum' started by Desmo, Jun 28, 2016.

1. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,346
    Anybody else running this?

I bought a Raspberry Pi yesterday and installed Homebridge along with the FibaroHC2 plugin. It acts as a bridge for Apples Homekit meaning I can now ask Siri to operate my Zwave devices. I can either call them directly ("Loung Lamp On") or I can set scenes within a Homekit app (I use MyTouchHome) to operate multiple devices and assign a "name" for it to react to.

What I've done in my testing and will continue to do is setup the actual scenes on the HC2 so they're completely universal. I can then set a Virtual Device on the HC2 with buttons to start those scenes or multiple devices which I can then call those "buttons" from Homekit via Siri.

The other good thing with Homekit is that you can share it with other people. I "invited" my wife to our home and it works just fine. She doesn't even need the MyTouchHome app installed.

2. m11rphy

m11rphy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    Would you be able to write us a guide on how to install homebridge on a PI I have a few things I would like to control such as wemo plugs, I have also seen a plugin to control LG TVs running webos

3. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,346
  4. m11rphy

m11rphy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +94
    I tired using GitHub instructions to install homebridge on my Mac I had no idea what I was doing and it didn't work lol

5. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,346
    :laugh: It can be tricky at times. I guess my old experience with linux made getting this up and running a little easier. I followed the instructions but it didn't quite work but I managed to find the fixes I needed.

I'm currently testing another plugin now that checks occupancy based on pining mobile phones.

6. chrisfraser05

chrisfraser05

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +203
    I use a homebridge equivalent installed on my pc (always on anyway as web server and plex) to allow Harmony and Alexa see Vera devices.

Does home bridge use an app or get/http commands to the Fibaro?
    Can you see live states of devices on your Apple device or is it control only?

7. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,346
    There's a plugin for Homebridge that communicates directly with the HC2. Not sure it does it in the technical side but it all works, pulling in all the rooms and devices from the HC2 in to HomeKit.

It does show device states and I can control them also. The main reason I've added it to my system is that I can now use Siri for voice control.