Home wireless alarms

ScottishThistle

Established Member
Reaction score
hi, iam looking to buy a wireless home alarm system, never had one before but would like one for my new house, so iam looking for summit cheap-ish, nuffin too fancy etc, as long as it does the job that its meant to do and isnt a piece of shiit that keeps sounding off when it shouldnt be etc.

I can say i would like a real outside bellbox/siren and a fake one, or at least just one anyways.
I would probably need two pir's (passive infrared detectors).
Thats about it, ohh, i seen that some of the outdoor bellbox/sirens come with a solar sensor to keep batteries charged better, but i dunno if they are any good seens that we live in dull scotland that doesnt get much daylight in the winter, lol.

So, anyway, can people please give me some recommended suggestions please, would be helpfull if you could give brand and model number and/or direct weblink to the items.

thanks very much.

Sorry dont have a link but I picked one up from Argos a little while back. Was between 100-150 quid and came with 2 PIRs and one Door Contact sensor with the ability to add more. Outside bell box with batteries and solar panel. Also has an auto-dialler so you can get a nice call on your mobile as someones nicking your stuff!

Last edited:
I suppose it depends where you live but we've got a wired alarm system that never gets used. If it were up to me i'd rip the thing out but for fear of damaging my walls i'm reluctantly going to leave it in.

I would definately only get a wireless system "if" I ever bought one.

Apologies for a useless post :)

we bought the Yale Premium alarm system,for £180 recently in Argos.also available in b&q/homebase etc.
comes with a real box,and a fake one,2 pir's,2 door switches,keypad,phone accessories,etc,and according to the booklet,the batteries last 3 years.
also,has phone contacting too,up to 6 no.s.
havent got round to putting it up yet though,as i dont have a ladder,to install the external boxes,but for me,it was either that,or the GET ones,available from argos/homebase-these are cheaper,at around £130 but come with slightly less.

ours:
HSA6400 Premium Alarm
http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/s...ngId=-1&searchTerms=Premium+Alarm&Submit=GO+>

they also do one cheaper,and almost similar,the HSA3800,with telecommunicating:
http://www.yalelock.com/Yale/Templa...roductid=6c37aed6-26e8-4e30-bf20-020c8867045e

hi, iam looking to buy a wireless home alarm system, never had one before but would like one for my new house, so iam looking for summit cheap-ish, nuffin too fancy etc, as long as it does the job that its meant to do and isnt a piece of shiit that keeps sounding off when it shouldnt be etc.

I can say i would like a real outside bellbox/siren and a fake one, or at least just one anyways.
I would probably need two pir's (passive infrared detectors).
Thats about it, ohh, i seen that some of the outdoor bellbox/sirens come with a solar sensor to keep batteries charged better, but i dunno if they are any good seens that we live in dull scotland that doesnt get much daylight in the winter, lol.

So, anyway, can people please give me some recommended suggestions please, would be helpfull if you could give brand and model number and/or direct weblink to the items.

thanks very much.

thanks guys, but by the time i recieved and email back saying there was posts on this site i had already went ahead and purchased a system, it was days ago i posted that original message :), anyways, i bought this one as it looked good to me, dunno if it is though, lol.

http://www.responseelectronics.com/store/SA3-Friedland-Response-Wireless-Alarm-pr-5.html

thanks guys, but by the time i recieved and email back saying there was posts on this site i had already went ahead and purchased a system, it was days ago i posted that original message :), anyways, i bought this one as it looked good to me, dunno if it is though, lol.

http://www.responseelectronics.com/store/SA3-Friedland-Response-Wireless-Alarm-pr-5.html

looks like one i had installed in a premises, never gives any trouble. :smashin:

i might get one for my place too.

looks like one i had installed in a premises, never gives any trouble. :smashin:

i might get one for my place too.

ye, seems a good one mate, i got it for 135quid on ebay too :) brand spanking new :), better than paying the 200quid from the manufacturer, lol

I work for one of the leading Alarm equipment manufactorers and even though we produce various RF systems I still wouldn't go for an wireless over a hard wired system.

And I most certainly wouldn't buy a cheap setup like a Yale/Responce as you can get kit off Ebay that'll let a would be thief unset your system very easily.

Just my 1p

Cool, thanks I'm looking to get an alarm system so I think I'll go the wired route now :smashin:

I work for one of the leading Alarm equipment manufactorers and even though we produce various RF systems I still wouldn't go for an wireless over a hard wired system.

And I most certainly wouldn't buy a cheap setup like a Yale/Responce as you can get kit off Ebay that'll let a would be thief unset your system very easily.

Just my 1p

Is it just early days for wireless systems, and subsequently they'll be the way to go? or are there fundamental shortcomings?

Cool, thanks I'm looking to get an alarm system so I think I'll go the wired route now :smashin:

Most people like the idea of wireless systems due to not being able to see cable runs etc but any good engineer will be able to install a system without any cables showing 99% of the time. When I first started out the guy I worked with use to save to customers that if they were unhappy with any cables showing then they wouldn't pay for the system and in the 2 years he never had one single customer take him up on it...but then he was an old school tradesman who did the job right first time even if it meant he'd be on the job longer than he'd charged for.

Is it just early days for wireless systems, and subsequently they'll be the way to go? or are there fundamental shortcomings?

Not so much early days but with data encryption and with technology moving on the way it does wireless will never be 100% secure, it'll get better all the time but I just wouldn't want that type of system knowing that it could be compromised not that I would think that a burglar with the type of kit to defeat the system would target my house when half the neighbours don't have alarms unless I had some sort of national treasure in my house :rolleyes:

Plus with the false alarms, battery issues etc that come with wireless systems more hassle than it's worth IMO.

Had a wired system installed fairly recently also..
I had four different companies out on quotes for both wired and wireless systems. Every one of them recommended the wired systems..
It was an easy choice for me as my place was being redone from top to bottom, so all the wires were buried.
The reasons stated for preference of wired systems were that they were less likely to go wrong or give you false alarms..Wireless systems really come into their own when spending hundreds/thousands..
We had a phone dialer installed also...Nowdays, if an alram goes off, how many people really pay attention? With our system, it actually calls me on my mobile (or 5 other listed contacts if i don't answer) although i don't think thats particularly new technology..

I recently had some alarm companies around to quote. Not one recommended wireless if wired can be installed.

I had four different companies out on quotes for both wired and wireless systems. Every one of them recommended the wired systems..
It was an easy choice for me as my place was being redone from top to bottom, so all the wires were buried.
The reasons stated for preference of wired systems were that they were less likely to go wrong or give you false alarms..Wireless systems really come into their own when spending hundreds/thousands..
We had a phone dialer installed also...Nowdays, if an alram goes off, how many people really pay attention? With our system, it actually calls me on my mobile (or 5 other listed contacts if i don't answer) although i don't think thats particularly new technology..

Lots of panels, I know most that we produce have the facility to text your mobile phone if there is an alarm condition. All you pay is the cost of the text message which is charged to your phone line by which mobile provider (O2, Vodaphone, Orange etc) you use to forward the SMS message on

I have the same facility with my alarm.........bloody woke me up at 4am when I was in Portugal early this year. Luckily a false alarm (one of the PIR's was faulty) but woke my in-Laws up as well who only live on the next street.

My alarm system is wired but the phone ringer thing is wireless. The wired alternative was recommended but would have meant major redecoration which I couldn't be bothered with.

Every alarm company I have talked to have recommended wired systems.

talk to the pros in your area about their systems. compare prices & systems. choose the one that fits your needs best.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've just had my wireless FM4000 system go tits up. Had it for 2years, bought used off fleabay for £25 with 6 PIR's. Magic piece of kit. No false alarms, good solid kit. Now I want to replace it, it was so good, but FM only sell to the trade. I can buy a panel over the net for £98 from ABC. Either that, or get another wireless (don't think that lo-cost systems would be too good). Hmm. Burying wires in October... running one out to the garage...
Anyone got an up to date view on modern wireless kit?
Reading the posts, here, it seems that tha alarm installers have a vested interest in wiring the property... it takes longer... Yes I know they are more reliable, but to be frank, I am not worrried about a hacker outside my house. I want to know if a local scroat's in my gaff :thumbsup:

I've just had my wireless FM4000 system go tits up. Had it for 2years, bought used off fleabay for £25 with 6 PIR's. Magic piece of kit. No false alarms, good solid kit. Now I want to replace it, it was so good, but FM only sell to the trade. I can buy a panel over the net for £98 from ABC. Either that, or get another wireless (don't think that lo-cost systems would be too good). Hmm. Burying wires in October... running one out to the garage...
Anyone got an up to date view on modern wireless kit?
Reading the posts, here, it seems that tha alarm installers have a vested interest in wiring the property... it takes longer... Yes I know they are more reliable, but to be frank, I am not worrried about a hacker outside my house. I want to know if a local scroat's in my gaff :thumbsup:

The alarm installers would rather work with systems they know work, the last thing they want is repeated trips to see someone with an RF system that's playing up as it's costing them money and fault finding on RF isn't straight forward so most end up replacing PIRs / contacts etc again at a cost

Last edited:
Only just picked this thread up[newbie]

I used to fit Intruder alarms and always fitted hard wired systems.
the new generation wireless are good but so is the ingenuity of the villain.
To bypass a hard wired system you have to access the building.
I started fitting in 1994, all hard wired and I have only been back to two sytems, 1 was a lightning stike, the other was a ladies boyfriend playing with the settings.
My own system has been in for 17 years and still does the business.
The trainer on my initial course told us do not fit wireless, and do not fit in a chip shop.

A wireless alarm system is useful to install as a temporary measure before a proper wired system is installed.

Wireless alarm systems can be defeated quite easily and are prone to "false" alarms.

I got the BT wireless home monitoring system from BT installed up and running within 40 minutes, live link via the telephone line for £5pcm sends text and telephone's whoever is on your list. Best money ever spent.

BB

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom