Home vs Garden & Extensions

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How important is Garden size to you all?

I'm planning an extension in my mind on a prospective property. The Architect advised keeping the garden looking big, so not extending too far out. So maybe a 5M extension or so.

I spoke to my sister however who brought up a good point of going for a 7M extension. She said the garden might be slightly smaller but those 2 metres indoors will matter a lot more to giving space, The extra 2M might've ended up being an outbuilding at the bottom of the garden which isn't very pretty to look at, and it'll add more value to the house. She also brought up some good points being the weather always sucks in the UK so how long and when can you realistically use your garden and that the garden is already fairly wide anyway so losing a bit of length isn't the worst thing in the world (its not that wide, its about 16M-17M wide).

She also hit me with the last line which is 'I doubt you'll ever think to yourself I wish I didn't go a metre further but I guarantee you will wish indoors you could have done a lot more with the meter'.

Any advise or thoughts on the matter? Has anyone done a similar route of going that little bit more.

A few things the architect suggested I just didn't... agree with. For example, I like traditional timeless decor and he reccomended as a 'no-brainer' massive bifolds. I like modern design philosophy but that just wasn't my style. Similarly he advised a 'lantern roof' in the middle of the extension which again, just didn't seem that appealing compared to some form of cathedral style windowing at the top with some beams.

So just wanted to check on other people's tastes!

I'm sure the planning permission will tell me to do one anyway with this pretty... creative extension but we'll see as every other house in the area seems to have gotten away with doing one (albiet I'm wanting to go a couple of metres farther out than them ground floor).

do you spend more time in the house or in the garden?-if the house then bigger extension, if in the garden then smaller extension...

The problem you have is that you really need to live in it a bit to decide what would be best.

When we bought our current house the garden wasn't really a consideration, we viewed, looked out the kitchen window and saw a decent enough garden and didn't look much further at it. We loved the house and we have lived here now for 8 years.

However, once we moved in, that following summer the garden came into its own, we had no idea at the time of buying that we had a south facing garden that gets sun all day. We actually didn't click originally that we were looking at the corner plot too so no neighbour on one side. The garden has since become one of our favourite features of the house and we regularly entertain (in non covid years) through the warmer months.

We have considered an extension in the past but I am always concerned about losing any garden space now

Work out many square feet will you be adding and what's the build cost per square foot? You might find that adding 'just a couple of metre's will be cost prohibitive.

My nephew is currently building a house and has reduced it's overall size by 400sq ft and it's saving him £60000.

For me garden size is less important than room size but more important than house size.

As long as the room/s that were being created by the extension were slightly larger that the average size then keep the garden.

I.e. If the extension was for a double bedroom that was 3 x 4 then I would use the extra 2m on the extension, but, if the bedroom was already 5 x 4 then I would keep the garden. I assume your doing a kitchen but you get the point e.g. If extendeding into the garden further means you can have a large kitchen island or 4m wife dining room then do it, if you can already have these things the don’t.

Re bifolds and lantern v timeless and cathedral- It all depends on what you want, but you can’t everything

If you want an extension that adds the max value to house and is will be significantly more popular with buyers then go this route.

If you want an extension that is exactly what you want then it’s your choice.

No right or wrong re style, either go for what you want or what adds more value and make‘s resale easier (due to popularity as you architect clearly knows)

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are thinking of the house as an investment, ie you are looking to increase it's value and later sell it on, listen to your architect.
If it's your forever home then allow yourself to be swayed by your sister.

If you are thinking of the house as an investment, ie you are looking to increase it's value and later sell it on, listen to your architect.
If it's your forever home then allow yourself to be swayed by your sister.

I dunno.. As soon as the architect said bifold doors I don't think we are on the same page. I might need to find one which is more traditional/timeless inclined.

I dunno.. As soon as the architect said bifold doors I don't think we are on the same page. I might need to find one which is more traditional/timeless inclined.

Bifold doors seem to very in fashion at the moment, a friends daughter has just had a extension done, at it has full width bifold doors, i was told they were expensive and have to be expertly installed, another friend is planning to get a extension next year, of course it must have bifold doors lol.

Bifold doors seem to very in fashion at the moment, a friends daughter has just had a extension done, at it has full width bifold doors, i was told they were expensive and have to be expertly installed, another friend is planning to get a extension next year, of course it must have bifold doors lol.

Yup, they are in fashion :)

30 years ago it was patio doors and wood chip and laminate :D

30 years ago it was patio doors and wood chip and laminate :D
Exactly IG which is my reasoning for not going with the fashion.

I’ve found even house sale wise, everyone goes for modern when they decorate their houses but the most expensive and quickly sold houses are always traditional. I will take timeless over what’s in fashion most of the time as I am simple person 😂

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom