Home videos sent to USA

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by gemi, Jan 28, 2005.

1. gemi

gemi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Please help me out here, I've just bought myself a nice new shiny JVC DR-M10 dvd recorder. I've got some old home movies on VHS which I'd like put onto dvd and send to relatives in America. They have a region 1 dvd player not multiregion. Will the dvd discs I create play over there as normal or do I have to change some settings during the recording procedure. If the recorder won't make discs that can play in US, is there any way of doing thru' PC.

Thanks

2. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    There is no issue with region codes, but there is an issue with video formats - PAL (UK format) and NTSC (US format). I assume your tapes are PAL; I don’t know of any recorder that can convert a PAL input to NTSC.

From a PC, yes you can do a conversion from PAL to NTSC. Editing and authoring software can do this, with varying quality. I send home movies to relatives in the US regularly; I convert the files to NTSC.

Note PCs don’t care about NTSC, so they would be able to play your disc on a PC.

If you are lucky, they might be able to play your PAL disc on their NTSC player, but this is not generally the case. Also note, a PAL player can usually play an NTSC disc (but this doesn’t help you here).

Mark

3. Hambone

Hambone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have recorded tv shows from sky to my tosh XS32 and sent them
    to Canada and they worked without any problems. :thumbsup:

4. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    You were lucky.... though it is getting more common that NTSC players can play a PAL disc.

I sent some PAL discs to various relatives to try on their players, and found only 1 in 4 could play them. When I converted to NTSC they all could.

Mark

5. gemi

gemi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx guys, I know the DVD producer software on my PC will convert PAL to NTSC so I'll run it thru' that.

Many thanks again :)

6. redsox_mark

redsox_mark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +621
    You could also try sending them a PAL copy, to see if it works. But yes, if that doesn't, do the conversion on the PC.

Mark

7. bossnas

bossnas
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The Phillips 620 in North America can play PAL discs on an NTSC tv. I saw them for sale in Radio Shack in Toronto last month. The guy in the shop said it would play just about anything including DiVX.