Home Video Network

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by paul_pestille, Jul 23, 2001.

1. paul_pestille

paul_pestille

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've been dabbling for a couple of years now with an Electrahome CRT and self-built HCPC (using the now defunct Digital Connections progressive scan board) and having looked at (and discarded) the idea of buying a TiVo (why get clobbered for all that EPG subscription) - and discovered DigiGuide and the other s/w scheduling progs AND just bought a 75Gb disk for $200 it seems sensible to network up all these bits & pieces (including my other project - an MP3 server for the hi-fi). Anyone got there yet? I'd be interested if anyone has any practical experience on bandwidth, connectivity etc. since it seems to cover all those <<DANGER KEEP OUT>> areas I read about in other sections!!

2. Matty N

Matty N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Paul,

I am currently doing the same thing at the moment and I have discovered what appears to be a little gem of a utility that will stream Mpeg video across a UTP network.

Drop me a mail if you would like it, I'd be interested to know your experience with it. As yet my network is down and I won't get a chance to fix it up until the end of the summer in all likelihood so I'm interested to know how you get on!!

Matt

3. paul_pestille

paul_pestille

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Matt

thanks - will indeed drop you a mail. I haven't trawled the other forums but I assume everyone is aware of Digiguide? Amazing value at £4.99/year for a customisable EPG vs £120/year from TiVo.
    I am looking at using snapstream (www.snapstream.com) as the enabling recorder, since it integrates with Digiguide. (Theoretically, it allows you to setup the PVR acroiss the net - which would be useful when I'm late at work and the wife is out!!).
    The areas I'm interested in are getting the streamed video onto a) my TV and b) into my Electrahome, potentially using Wireless Internet. I've got a plethora of servers and PCs (being in the trade as it were) that I can use as the network decoders at each end of the network drop, but haven't found an elegant way of delivering the images on demand yet.

Paul