Home video distribution

Simsingh

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Looking into a whole video distribution system and trying to build from scratch myself.

Decided on a 8x8hdmi matrix and control 4 processor. Does anyone have experience with setting these up from scratch.

First step is writing the whole house with cat 6 cable. Any recommendations on which cat 6 cable to get/ avoid? I’m thinking of writing each room with 2 parallel cat 6 cables one for video distribution and other for a hard wired internet port. Would cat 6 for the Internet aspect this be over kill?

Thanks in advance

Nope I did not realise I needed one.
Are there any alternatives I could use without license? Or is it best to stick with control 4 and get the professionals to do that part of the build in your opinion?

C4 installers won’t ‘do their bit’ unfortunately, it’s a kind of all or nothing deal with them.
I guess 2 questions.
1. What is your budget?
2. Why do you want distributed video? Over local sources

System planning - a room by room overview of what you want to achieve is a good start.

Centralised vs. Distributed - Smart TV’s, Embedded Apps (in everything), low cost streaming devices and ever changing capabilities (4K UHD, HDCP, HDR, DV, Atmos...) all make centralising kit less attractive these days.

Control - any of the big brands (AMX, Crestron, C4...) all require you to use or become a Dealer/Installer (which is very costly). There are DIY options which combine hardware by manufacturers such as Global Cache with Apps such as Roomie Remote. Keep in mind you may be dealing with IR, BT, Voice, Push Button, intruder devices plus lots of networking - do not underestimate the time and learning this can take to get right.

Joe

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom