Home TV Network

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Building DIY' started by looroll, Aug 26, 2018.

1. looroll

looroll
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My apologies if this is the wrong part of the forum for this thread, but I am asking for some help and advice please
    I have looked around the forums but cant find basic advise so please post threads that I have missed or to look at for advice
    I have purchased a new house and I am in the process of having it rewired/plastered etc
    So I would like to have some sort of ' hub ' either under the stairs or in the loft where I can centrally send tv signal around the house.
    I am having cat6 cable to all rooms and would like coax/sat ends plate too if needed?
    My primary source at present is skybox acting as a Freeview box with a now tv subscription I maybe plan to get a sky subscription at a later date
    I currently have a mixture of tv's and not all have Freeview so need an aerial point
    So and this is where I need advice I am running cat cable to all rooms and was thinking of running WF100 coax as well, all having a endplate in the rooms.
    What are the best options for the 'under stairs' hardware ?
    A network switch would take care of the internet but I'm a bit stumped to the tv part ?
    I have a sky dish and an aerial, would some sort of multiswitch be the best option? or would something different be better, I should mention its a 4 bed house with two receptions and a kitchen/dining room.
    thank you for reading and any help advice I would greatly receive

2. brunation

brunation

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    Search for 'node zero' on the forums .....

3. jamieu

jamieu

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +69
    Depending on how technical / DIY you are you could setup a central server (with DVB/cable cards) running something like TVHeadend to distribute your various TV sources (Sky/Freeview) over IP and then attach a cheap client device like a RPi running Movian.tv or Kodi to each TV set. Obviously if your primary concern is simply getting coax split / distributed around the house this is overkill / the wrong route.

NOTE: It's been a while since I have played with all this, so expect others will come along soon with better suggestions :) But looking at TVHeadend might be a good starting point, even if you find something better as you investigate deeper from there. You could probably setup a little 'test setup' with TVHeadend running on your PC streaming to another device (and see what you think of the quality / usability).

Last edited: Sep 7, 2018
  4. rorton

rorton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    Your CAT 5/6 needs to terminate on a patch panel, so no problems there.

I'd run 1 or 2 WF/CT100 cables out to each of the locations that you want a TV - if this is going under the stairs, then dont forget a cable going up to the loft so you can connect the aerial.

Once you have all the COAX cables under the stairs, you have a few choices.

What i did was buy a TV Link F180 - which is a 8 way TV Distributor. Aerial in, and then 8 coax out to various TV's.

For the Sky, i have 2 coax going to where the sky box is, and then connected the Sky dish to the 2 coax cables, so the sky disk in essence just goes direct to the wall from the dish - half using my wiring, and half using the wiring from sky (if that makes sense!)

Im using Sky Q, so i have the Sky box in the lounge with the 2 COAX feeding it, and then the other Sky Q mini boxes are connected by ethernet.

So for me,

some kind of aerial amplifier - aerial in > x coax out to your TVs
    2 coax to the position where your sky box will be, bring this back to the central point, and then run the cable from the sky LNB into the central point and join it (or run new wire from the LNB to where the sky box will be.

5. rorton

rorton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +36
    actually the post i did linked in my signature covers a lot of it, - its 10 years ago since i did it, but its still valid (and operational!) now...

6. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    There are quite a few options to look at these days as tv central distribution has become expensive in terms of shared sources because of 4k etc.

Most people would potentially look at sky q and minis as that is a cheaper option.

Sky q cannot without further equipment use the same cabling infrastructure that you would use for FreeView\Dab and satellite. So you need to potentially have a couple of different options.

Also if you run HDMI over cat x cables then normally want to avoid breaks I.e patch panels.

Will post more later when I get chance but what you want to do is draw a plan of what services you want/might want in each room including tv, computer etc but also think about things like WiFi access points, smart lighting, how automation

7. looroll

looroll
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thank you so far posters for taking the time to reply
    various things for me to mull over indeed especially to Rorton I did read all your thread and wow what a job you did, that's definitely the sort of thing i am looking to do and has helped massively

8. ChuckMountain

ChuckMountain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,304
    I really must get round to posting my build or some of it anyway :)

I also have a Node 0 setup which was done about 4 or 5 years ago (and has similarities to Rorton) but possibly would do things slightly differently now.

So for me planning process is where you need to get it right :)

9. neilball

neilball

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +649
    Don’t scrimp on the Cat5e/6, and pull two at least cables to every location you might need wired connections.

Allow cable connections (or a local network switch) to cover wired connections for TV’s, Sky boxes (central and local in case of upgrade to SkyQ or similar), games consoles, AV equipment, music servers/players, fixed PCs/network printers, and for wifi access points (as you’ll probably need additional wifi APs to get decent wifi coverage across the house). Using wired when equipment supports it leaves wifi for devices that are only wireless making best use of the wireless bandwidth.

Make sure you’ve also allowed a decent number of 13A sockets at these locations to keep use of trailing extensions to a minimum to avoid unnecessary clutter to if you can.

I completed my self-build a little over 11 years ago now and flooded my house with plenty of Cat5e, which all goes back to a Node0 hub onto patch panels, along with plenty of coax for TV aerial distribution and satellite, plus speaker cabling so my lounge AVR and Sonos Amps (for i-ceiling speakers) are all in Node0 too. I’ve added a Mhub Pro 8x8 matrix since using my Cat5e for video distribution.

And in the last few years I’ve move to Draytek managed wifi with 8 2.4/5GHz APs (including detached garage and shed), and some external Dahua IP CCTV cameras again using the cabling installed at the original build.

I have a small secondary Node0 in the garage to make management of that area straight forward and used steel wire armoured Cat5e cable to the shed.