Quantcast

Question Home theatre setup - Sony/Monitor Audio/Onkyo combination

cptflr

Novice Member
Hi

I’m new here and looking to set up a home theatre system.

I’m looking for some advice on a 5.1.2 setup for my home. I have the following equipment:

1. 2x Monitor Audio MR4 Floor Standing Speakers
2. 1x Monitor Audio MR Centre Speaker
3. 1x Sony SA-W2500 Active Subwoofer
4. 2x Monitor Audio MR1 Bookshelf Speakers
5. 2x Onkyo SKH-410 Dolby Atmos Speakers
6. Marantz NR1608 A/V Receiver
7. Samsung 49” Series 7 Curved UHD Television

Does it make sense to mix this equipment?

I got the Onkyo speakers as it was either that, or Klipsch at 4 times the price. I couldn’t find anyone selling anything else around here. I also understand that Klipsch speakers sound quite different from Monitor Audio, which was another reason for avoiding them.

The Sony sub is a leftover from a previous idea that never happened. Does it make sense to replace it with the Monitor Audio MRW10? They cost quite a lot more (more than the rest of the speakers combined) and seem to have a similar frequency range. (According to published materials) I’m concerned, though, at the huge different in price. Is the Sony sub rubbish?

What’s a good way of mounting the MR1’s at the back? The small wall mounts can’t seem to carry their weight and I haven’t seen compatible stands for a reasonable price. Should I just buy smaller satellite speakers? If so, what would work well with the rest of the system. I have a really limited space for the rear speakers, so they need to go pretty close to the couch. I do have ample space in the front.

Gasp3621

Hi

I’m new here and looking to set up a home theatre system.

I’m looking for some advice on a 5.1.2 setup for my home. I have the following equipment:

1. 2x Monitor Audio MR4 Floor Standing Speakers
2. 1x Monitor Audio MR Centre Speaker
3. 1x Sony SA-W2500 Active Subwoofer
4. 2x Monitor Audio MR1 Bookshelf Speakers
5. 2x Onkyo SKH-410 Dolby Atmos Speakers
6. Marantz NR1608 A/V Receiver
7. Samsung 49” Series 7 Curved UHD Television

Does it make sense to mix this equipment?

I got the Onkyo speakers as it was either that, or Klipsch at 4 times the price. I couldn’t find anyone selling anything else around here. I also understand that Klipsch speakers sound quite different from Monitor Audio, which was another reason for avoiding them.

The Sony sub is a leftover from a previous idea that never happened. Does it make sense to replace it with the Monitor Audio MRW10? They cost quite a lot more (more than the rest of the speakers combined) and seem to have a similar frequency range. (According to published materials) I’m concerned, though, at the huge different in price. Is the Sony sub rubbish?

What’s a good way of mounting the MR1’s at the back? The small wall mounts can’t seem to carry their weight and I haven’t seen compatible stands for a reasonable price. Should I just buy smaller satellite speakers? If so, what would work well with the rest of the system. I have a really limited space for the rear speakers, so they need to go pretty close to the couch. I do have ample space in the front.
Yup the Sony sub is rubbish, but so is the MRW10 - stay away from it! There is no need to buy Monitor Audio sub as in no need to match. Subwoofers with better build quality and good amplification aren`t cheap, but i think if you are serious and love to watch movies especially blockbuster type then it´s highly recommended that you save up for something good as it can have very dramatic difference to your whole system.

Problem can be the availability, so you might have to order it from other country as you live in South Africa. SVS has distributor in East Africa (Nairobi, Kenya) called Harbits Limited. But the price for new SVS PB1000 (example) will be even more than MRW10, starting around 500$ US. Although it will be worth it and comes with 5year amp warranty and great support. Black Friday is coming soon so you will see great discounts that day generally if you are able to spend bit more.

If you can link some local hifi shop that sells different subwoofers i can look out is there anything worth to buy.

You could build DIY stands (wood?) if you are handy or if some friend would do them. With atmos system the surrounds should be placed around seated ear height. Shame if you have to keep them close to listener. Amazon.com has many "speaker wall mounts" that should easily hold the weight of BR1 - they clamp the speaker on both side. Not sure are they possible to order where you live or too expensive shipping costs.

cptflr

Novice Member
Hi

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into other subwoofer options. It's good that it doesn't have to be Monitor Audio also. The SVS PB1000 does look rather decent compared to the other options, but it also costs more than all my other speakers combined. I might need to look into some savings as I tend to buy kit with cash on hand and sometimes that backfires.

Here are some local suppliers:
Tv, laptop, electronics, appliance shop and more Welcome to HiFi Corp (Only one that's really local, as in the same town - Literally down the road from me, but I've failed to find anything that impresses me on their website at least; I haven't visited the store yet)
Home Theatre Subwoofers | Large Range | South Africa | AudicoOnline.co.za (Other side of the country, but delivers everywhere for free)
Active Subwoofers (Same as above; I've seen some good prices here)
Takealot.com: Online Shopping | SA's leading online store (Only delivers; Great service, quick delivery, but general merchandise online store)

I've since also been looking at the Monitor Audio BR-FX speakers for surround. They are a tad on the expensive side, (compared to the rest of my kit) but might give some better options. The shape and size looks better for mounting at the rear.

I wish I could get the rear speakers further away, but I can't move the couch forward much as it's 3 meters wide and there's a fireplace next to it, so going forward would put it right in front of the fireplace. The rear wall angles 45 degrees just to the left and right edge of the couch, so I was thinking of either mounting the rear speakers on the angled pieces of wall, or on stands behind or next to the couch - there should be just enough space behind the couch to place small speaker stands. Next to the couch would would place one speaker too close to the fireplace for my comfort.

If the rear speakers end up too close to the seating, would it be better to forego a 5.1.2 setup and rather do a 3.1.2 setup? I suppose, the question is - would poorly placed rear speakers be better than no rear speakers at all?

Thanks!

Gasp3621

Hi

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into other subwoofer options. It's good that it doesn't have to be Monitor Audio also. The SVS PB1000 does look rather decent compared to the other options, but it also costs more than all my other speakers combined. I might need to look into some savings as I tend to buy kit with cash on hand and sometimes that backfires.

Here are some local suppliers:
Tv, laptop, electronics, appliance shop and more Welcome to HiFi Corp (Only one that's really local, as in the same town - Literally down the road from me, but I've failed to find anything that impresses me on their website at least; I haven't visited the store yet)
Home Theatre Subwoofers | Large Range | South Africa | AudicoOnline.co.za (Other side of the country, but delivers everywhere for free)
Active Subwoofers (Same as above; I've seen some good prices here)
Takealot.com: Online Shopping | SA's leading online store (Only delivers; Great service, quick delivery, but general merchandise online store)

I've since also been looking at the Monitor Audio BR-FX speakers for surround. They are a tad on the expensive side, (compared to the rest of my kit) but might give some better options. The shape and size looks better for mounting at the rear.

I wish I could get the rear speakers further away, but I can't move the couch forward much as it's 3 meters wide and there's a fireplace next to it, so going forward would put it right in front of the fireplace. The rear wall angles 45 degrees just to the left and right edge of the couch, so I was thinking of either mounting the rear speakers on the angled pieces of wall, or on stands behind or next to the couch - there should be just enough space behind the couch to place small speaker stands. Next to the couch would would place one speaker too close to the fireplace for my comfort.

If the rear speakers end up too close to the seating, would it be better to forego a 5.1.2 setup and rather do a 3.1.2 setup? I suppose, the question is - would poorly placed rear speakers be better than no rear speakers at all?

Thanks!
Yes good one will cost more, but it`s likely that you will keep it long time then and not end up in constant upgrade circle. Going too cheap can backfire and you end up spending more losing money selling old one etc.

The first shop you linked has the sealed cousin SB1000 for price of R13,990 i assume the PB1000 will cost same and is likely available via order.

If you feel that is too much then the Polk HTS 12 seems fine low budget option. The shop near you has it, but bit higher price although i would assume they will price match it for you with the second shop price of R8,990,00. Lower price on Black Friday could be possible if you ask around.

I just mentioned this sub on other thread for someone in US looking for cheap alternative. SVS is still better, but it will be up to you how much you want to spend. Owners for the Polk seem to be happy. Here is the sister site AVSF review of it, check it out if intrested.

Well if you have the speakers close to listener i would think about the Bronze FX, the BR version is older and should be considerably cheaper than new Bronze FX, link below.

You would use the bipole mode (switch at rear) and they should be installed so that you leave some space to side walls as they shoot both ways. See picture below, if you can only install them on corners or very close, then they aren´t ideal. As you have atmos system, you would mount them on seated ear height or just slightly higher. They will spread the effects bit more which helps if you sit close to them. If the hifishop has them on demo room listen them first. You can still buy the older version if it´s noticeably cheaper.

Top Bottom