Home Theatre Set Up Adivce Needed Please

Ruby

I had to sell most of my previous home theatre equipment (which was fairly high-end stuff - Ken Kreisel Quattro Q125 LCRs, 2 DXD-12012 subs, separate processor and power amp) for family reasons. I'm considering adding an AV receiver and some speakers to a different room (as I've found trying to watch movies through TV speakers to be such a dull experience!), albeit at a much more downscaled level and wanted some advice. The space I'll have is about 3.25m wide by 4.5m long (although the room is actually about 9m long in total but I'll only get half of that, but it does mean I'll have no rear wall in my space).

I'll probably start with a 5.2 set up with an AV receiver that has Dolby Atmos and DTS-X capabilities if I want to go that route in the future. I don't want to spend too little or too much on a AV receiver, and so, am considering the likes of the Denon X3700H and Marantz SR6015, or something else in that price bracket. I wouldn't mind spending less to get something second hand, but it would need to be at least as good as the receivers I've mentioned. Any recommendations?

I've got a real urge to try speakers with horn tweeters as I want to try to emulate the cinema high-end frequencies (within a budget of course) as much as possible, and I hear horn tweeters are better for this than dome tweeters. For that reason, I considering Klipsch. I would love to get the UK equivalent of the following package (https://www.costco.com/klipsch-reference-dolby-atmos-surround-system.product.100665767.html) but the UK equivalent packages that I've seen seem to be more than twice that price (although I'm really more interested in the fronts and centre speakers as I've already got surrounds that I can use in the new set up). On that note, if I were to import the speakers from the US (not from Costco though as they wouldn't ship to the UK), would I face any issues running them with UK equipment or would they be exactly the same as a UK sourced speaker?

I hear that Klipsch speakers are quite sensitive and don't need much power to perform. Would the receivers I'm looking at be a suitable match for these speakers (would it result in a warm, bright or neutral sound)?

With regards to the 2 subs I'd be wanting, I'm thinking two 10 or 12 inch ported subs that don't cost too much and would pair well with the Klipsch speakers. Any recommendations?

Anyway, in the past I've kind of rushed in to buying equipment without much forward planning. So this time I would appreciate any feedback or suggestions from you guys before I do anything.

Thanks

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Shame to hear you had to sell that nice system. Couple points.

Receiver wise those two are the best bet or if you can wait until June - August as Onkyo and Pioneer will introduce new models with Dirac Live first manufacturers in the 1k£ range. UK introduction is question mark still. The new Yamaha RX-A4A (7.2) will be closer to 1200£ or so. The top three Yamaha models will be introduced very soon. Denon still costs same as it did when announced, there is no competition either so better to wait few months if possible. Normally it would drop closer to 700-800£ if new model coming at August, still no word on X3800H.

Those Klipsches you looked are not good. Only consider the RP = Reference Premiere range, meaning they have titanium tweeters over the cheaper Reference aluminum which many feels are too harsh and if you dig around they are cheaply made speakers which measure horribly. You would be looking RP-6000F floorstanders with RP-600C or RP-504C center channel. That is if you are set on floorstanders. The sensitivity figures are in-room so not comparable to other brands, but they still have higher figures than many others and aren´t tough load otherwise either.

Arendals use dome tweeter, but they are very popular for HT use, especially the 1723 THX range, but the 1961 range would be probably more in line with your budget.

If you aren´t hung up on floorstanders consider the Monoprice Monolith THX Ultras. They offer superb bang for buck. See post #6 by Jase for the correct links! Scroll back that thread for reviews if you aren´t familiar with them!

Looking low budget ported subs the best atm would be the brand new SVS PB1000 Pro. You should be getting 10% AVF member discount also, especially if you buy two!

Ruby

Thank you for the advice. I'm curious as to how a horn tweeter sounds different to a dome tweeter, and that's why I mentioned the Klipsch. I don't know of any other brand that does horn tweeters.

Is Dirac Live superior to Audyssey XT32? I've had a lot of experience with Audyssey although not with the app. I always wanted the ability to be able to EQ only below a certain frequency range. Can Dirac Live do that?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Thank you for the advice. I'm curious as to how a horn tweeter sounds different to a dome tweeter, and that's why I mentioned the Klipsch. I don't know of any other brand that does horn tweeters.

Is Dirac Live superior to Audyssey XT32? I've had a lot of experience with Audyssey although not with the app. I always wanted the ability to be able to EQ only below a certain frequency range. Can Dirac Live do that?

Probably for the cost there isn´t any similar ones yeah. But the Klipsches doesn´t have compression drivers (tweeters) which is found in many pro cinema speakers JBL Pro, Procella, Klipsch THX range etc.

If you would have got AT-screen then something like Behringer would have been uber cheap cinematic choice to give some taste.. Big and ugly, but cheap! There is lot of love for them in US and UK from those who has heard em.

Amazon product

Yes you can limit the correction with Dirac Live too. It`s considered one of the best correction systems out there, but steep learning curve and you need laptop. Lot of tweaking can be done. I think both Onkyo and Pioneer comes with the cheaper mic so you need to buy Umik-1 which costs 115£, but you can use it with REW program so it will be very usefull and more accurate than the cheap mic that comes with the receivers.

Ruby

Did you mention a screen because of the looks of the Behringer or because it would sound too harsh (without EQ) without the screen?

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Did you mention a screen because of the looks of the Behringer or because it would sound too harsh (without EQ) without the screen?

Because of the looks/size cause they are more suited for man cave than typical lounge. Check the AVF link i posted, Peter Parker had them long. Also there is some earlier big AVSF thread where Mark found the Behringers sounding very close to what people love these days on the DIY world called DIYSG speakers with compression drivers.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Will do. Could these be suitable powered by the receivers i mentioned?

Any receiver will play them stupid loud! 96db sensitivity which i would say is likely more truer than the Klipsches. You can send PM to @Peter Parker if you are indeed intrested about them. Always best to chat with owners and read all the links. I think there is third one for AVSF bigger thread.

Ruby

I wish I could get a demo of what a horn speaker sounds like to determine whether I like the sound or not. At the moment, everything I know about them is purely theory.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
I wish I could get a demo of what a horn speaker sounds like to determine whether I like the sound or not. At the moment, everything I know about them is purely theory.

Henley Audio would be ~1hour drive away from Coventry. They have most of Klipsch models, but as i mentioned the RP range is not cheap. Then again it might tick all the boxes for you who knows. If you can visit them book a demo time with the exact models that are withing your budget. I would steer away from the cheaper (R) Reference range though!

Address:
Unit B, Park 34,
Collett,
Didcot,
Oxfordshire,
OX11 7WB,
UK

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom