Home theatre Micro ATX board for htpc, with lga 1151 support

goodguys

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Thanks for reading.

I am wanting to purchase a new micro atx motherboard for building a home theatre pc. I have a 6th-generation Intel LGA1151 processor and would like a mobo which accepts this. Also a reliable board. My last mobo died and took the hard drive with it and I lost 8 TB of data, still smarting over that.

Also do you know of there is any advantage to purchasing a gaming board, they seem to use more power and have higher specs, but does it have any meaning for improving htpc. I heard asus mobos are good so am leaning towards them but will welcome any mobo recommendations. I have an asus stxII soundcard to reproduce the audio, and for the picture i am hoping to use the mobo's built in solution, do you know of any mobos with a good graphics adaptor.

So I need: 1. micro atx motherboard 2. 6th-generation Intel LGA1151 processor support 3. High reliability 4. Good graphics adaptor 5. Budget is £200

Many thanks.

I think you might have trouble trying to locate a new older gen 6 board, You may have to get used, I would go with Asus/Gigabyte, built hundreds of little work stations in the past using these old H110 chipsets and they are rock solid.
It may actually be better to start afresh and go with a more modern Motherboard/chipset/cpu, it would give better performance for a Home theatre PC also.

Just got the model number of the cpu, it is i5-6400t.
How would a newer mobo, cpu, chipset iprove on htpc.
Many thanks

Last edited:
Just got the model number of the cpu, it is i5-6400t.
How would a newer mobo, cpu, chipset iprove on htpc.
Many thanks
Main improvement would be the onboard graphics chipset, then just generally a bump in the other areas. There's a few boards on most of the regular suppliers, Scan, Overclockers, Ebuyer ect.

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated.
Have been reading that the graphics are a function of the cpu, what does this mean? Is the graphics card integrated onto the cpu? How is this possible? I have a few pci-e graphics cards and they are quite large, how can they fit such a large card onto a cpu, what have i got wrong.
Also is a graphics card necessary as i take hdmi out to an external screen, so is it the screen that determines picture quality?

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom