1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Theatre Master MX-850 (Orion) & MX-250 (RF)

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by stevebez, Nov 22, 2004.

1. stevebez

stevebez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Got my toy on Friday night just in time to fiddle / install it over the weekend.

I got the MX-250 wireless set-up as well (hmmm...).

First impressions on build quality are ... its really nice! "rubber type" feel to the back / underside and a very nice grey black finish to the top. The backlight is subtle and more than sufficient eluminating the characters on the keys rather than the entire keys. It is streets ahead of the standard Rotel remote in build quality terms.

The MX editor software is fantastic. I never expected it to be this easy and versitile, especially in macros and learning codes.

The MX-250 is another matter. What a struggle. It works then it doesn't, then it works again.... what a hassle. I am not sure if I have found the gremlin though? My home wireless network "receiver" was mounted on the other side of the same wall ... almost exactly in line... removed it ... it did not work and then it did work all of a sudden... wierd. I also modified one output from the MX-250 to plug into the ext remote in for my Rotel 1068 - (not sure if this can be done?). After much inconsistent operation I abandoned this idea and went for the IR blinkers all round which - now (touch wood) are operating with more reliability / consistency.

So after a weekend of - most of the time - confusion ... and erratic performance... it now seems to working a charm. I hope it lasts ...

Anyone know if there is new software out for the MX-250 ? I have version 1.0 ?

Ah, one last thing ... the IR output seems quite low (wich surprised me) - especially when blasting through the Panny P5 IR flooding ... here the Rotel remote seems to cope better, but since I am using the RF for control - at least the IR flooding is ruled null and void now ... phew!

Will report back on reliability etc ...

Rgds Steve.

2. stevebez

stevebez

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    An update on the MRF-250....

Aparently the routing of the flasher cables to the av compenents needs care as they act as aerials to collect RF. They can collect too much noise effectively mucking up the output. Also it is recommmended that you do not use the same power multi plug used for the av equipment for the power supply unit for the MRF-250 - this app also adds to interference.... The MRF250 also should be placed >3' away from yre components to avoid getting RFI from them ... so...

Really need to fine tune this ... I am surprised the RF has not gone digital - will to a large degree eliminate the Rf interference probs.

Rgds Steve.