1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Theatre Kit - without dvd player?

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Majid Khan, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi folks,

i am interested in buying a surround sound system (or Home Theater Kit), preferably by Sony or another good brand, but it seems that all the HTKs I have seen incorporate a DVD player with them..

I already have 3 dvd players at home, including a Sony Progressive Scan DVD Recorder which I use as my main dvd player -- so I would ideally want to just get a subwoofer and set of 5 speakers (which incorporate Dolby Digital, DTS and Pro Logic II decoders, )

The only thing that I've found so far which meets my requirements, are the Acoustic Solutions home cinema kits on Argos.co.uk - which seem to have the decoders built into the Subwoofer.

But ideally, I would like a Sony speaker set up, to match nicely with my Sony tele.. anyone aware of any such packages? or alternatively if I were to get separates, what would I need and how much is it likely to cost? I want a good looking set of speakers, with good sound quality.

2. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Majid,
    Scaring thing to ask 'How much does it cost?'
    Ideally it would be good if you have a budget figure in mind. As you are probably aware you can spend hundreds or thousands.
    If you went down the seperate route you would need a Digital processor/Amplifier. These can be combined or seperate and probably 2 front, 1 centre and 2 surround speakers. Possibly a sub as well.
    It can get hideously expensive so let us know what you would be happy to spend and see what people suggest.
    HTH

3. Majid Khan

Majid Khan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for that, Knightshade..

I think i've found just the kind of thing I was looking for at unbeatable:

http://www.unbeatable.co.uk/CatalogueItem_28463.html

This is a sony home cinema system package, consisting of amplifier (supporting DD, DTS, DPR II) together with 5 speakers and a sub.. at 600 RMS watts , priced at just £149.

The only thing that I dont like particularly are the speakers, they seem to be those tiny 'sattellite' kind of speakers.

What I would like ideally, is four tall (floorstanding) speakers, you know either those tubular/cylindrical ones or straight ones - so that you could put them at the side of your tele, and two at the back.

If I were to purcase this kit, would it be possible for me to for example, sell the speakers supplied and buy a different set ? if yes, would they need to be speakers of any particular kind ?

I would appreciate any help there, thanks.

PS - I'd be willing to spend upto £300 in total... so that's £150 on this package and upto another 150 quid on more stylish Sony speakers.

Or alternatively, if someone could recommend me a set up so that I can buy the separates (an amp, a a sub and five speakers) for under 300 quid, I would appreciate it. thanks.

4. Knightshade

Knightshade

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    Hi Majid
    Best advice I can give you is to go and have a listen to a good hi fi retailer where you live. Take your DVD player along and see what you think. I'm not sure whether you will find what you are looking for in the seperates market unless you look seconhand/ex demo. This is often a very good way to go giving you a lot more musicality for your money.
    The only advice I can give you is beware of huge output claims on speaker and amp packages, take them with a large bar of salt.
    Also, you will generally get a much better speaker in the form of a standmount speaker than floorstander for the equivilent money. I know there has to be a trade off between looks and quality, how much of one is usually the problem.
    I'm afraid I haven't heard the system in the link so I can't really comment.
    I'm sure others will reply with more relevent info soon....

5. mjclayton

mjclayton

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there. Just joined the forum and have been looking for a similar thing when I came across this thread. The Sony set-up you have a link to is brand new. They have just brought out the HT-SS600 (shown in your link) and the HT-DDW670. Both are the same price with one being digital and the latter analogue. The SS600 has 2 optical inputs where as the DDW670 has one. Unfortunately I cannot find any reviews anywhere on the net as they are so new, but hopefully something will come up soon, and if you go to your local Sony Centre they will let you have a listen. They had also just got them in stock at Comet last week.

Have you considered floor stands for the speakers? You can get some very nice ones if you look around.

6. snow-munki

snow-munki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    slightly above your budget, as i'm in the exact same situation as you.

I think I will go for the Canton CD1 for £240 ( there's a guy selling them here ) and then am amp for about £200.

total price will be just under £500 including wires and stands, but believe will sound VERY good.

7. bobbytoad

bobbytoad

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +99
    Hi MJCLAYTON

i'm interested in the sony system and was going to just go for the HT-SS600 as its ballpark £150 form Unbeatable.co.uk but now you have me confused by mentioning teh other system, HT-DDW670.

What is the diference between these two, apart from appearance and what is the diference between digital and analogue?

AARGH its'all too complicated

PS. any one have any expreience shopping with Empire online or Unbeatable?