1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home theatre into hifi!!

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by psychedelic, Jan 1, 2005.

1. psychedelic

psychedelic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Happy new Year guys!
    I have a Pioneer 575 multiregion, Denon 1905 and B&W Vm1s with Asw 600 system.They sound excellent with movies but I am not entirely happy with music. The vocals and music form the movies sound far better than audio CDs. I use my DVD player just as transport and use the amp DACs for decoding(they are supposed to be better quality :confused: ) I have a few options and I need some advise

1.Buy a dedicated Cd player and use analogue connections for the amp(I dont want to spend more than £200, will there be any difference with a budget player like cambridge 540 c ??)

2.Connect my DVD player and amp using good quality stereo IC ?

3.Invest in a good quality DAC ?

Thanks for the advice :thumbsup:

2. gizlaroc

gizlaroc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +615
    It is your amp imho, try and borrow a decent 2 channel amp from somewhere, that costs around £300 and hear the difference.

Also try and borrow say a £300 cd player for the day and see what difference that makes.

A decent hifi store will let you take these things and try them at home, explain you are not happy but unsure why, and you would like to try a few things to see if it helps, but I bet it turns out to be the amp.

3. psychedelic

psychedelic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi gizlaroc Thanks ! why do you think its my amp? Though its only 80 watts /channel I doesnt look like a 'power' problem. I have a DTS Cd and it sounds fantastic. Even the music from movies like kill bill is amazing. But when I play audio CDs the sound is harsh, lacks definition.
    But I do agree with you, stereo amps drive monitors in a different way !

4. SKA.face

SKA.face

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think you have a mixture of problems,in that everything is A/V based,from DVD player,to lifestyle speakers,to A/V amp,so all three elements are not really helping you in getting a high quality two channel stereo performance.The only real solution I see would be another system,which I guess is impossible,but I would think whatever you change will be comprimised by your other kit.

First of,why not try an off board DAC,from the digi out of the pioneer,from the pioneer to the Denon use analouge connections.then latter change the denon for something more musically capable.HTH

5. psychedelic

psychedelic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think I am just being too greedy! As you said the system is full of AV components rather than Hi Fi. I cant install install a hifi system just now may be in the future!

6. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Pschadelic,

Had the same problem as you did and have had to completely ditch 5.1 AV in order to get decent stereo performance.

One thing to remember about your 5.1 set-up, is that it is pretty flexible. Stereo performance should be OK. I'm afraid your kit is very very AV (as Ska.face says) and will be difficult to improve in 2-channel terms without spending loads of money from the ground-up. There is no easy, quick and affordable solution to this, i'm afraid. Simply adding a DAC or over-priced IC's will make very little improvement.

I think you should just enjoy what must be a very capable home cinema set-up.

DT

7. huwg

huwg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +121
    You could look at a decent flexible S/H stereo amp such as the Audiolab 8000S (£160 on ebay last I saw !)
    use this to drive the main speakers in pre-power AV mode for 5.1 and use it in integrated mode for music. This is assuming your AV amp has line outs.

8. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    Excellent advice DT, in the DAC sticky at the top of the page there is a few posts about adding DACs (or even dedicated) CD players to predominantly AV based systems, ie with a DVD-V player and a MC AV Amp, quite simple the bottleneck is the pre-amp for stereo. Unless combining a stereo amp via fronts & preouts then it’s a shoehorning of stereo into a AV system – I would always go against it. At AV int amp below £1000 I would spend my money thus £300 on a AV Amp £700 on a stereo amp, best of both worlds IMHO. Then you have to ask yourself whats your priority ? AV 5.1 or music in stereo.

Often that’s the easiest way to sort out stereo … as you have went down.

9. fordster

fordster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    As a quick minor improvement try getting hold of some cheap but good stereo interconnects and use these to Connect the DVD player to the amp.. AV amps tend to be optimised for surround sound rather than music so you may find the DAC in the DVD player is better for stereo. It's not going to make a massive difference but for £25 (see the power buy section of the cable forum for the advert from Mark Gant) it's worth a shot. On my old system of a Pio 535 and Denon 1602 I originally ran it via digital for music but it improved when switching to a decent pair of analogue ICs (£40 Atlas Equators in my case). I've since upgraded the DVD to a Denon 2800MKII but the stereo performance is never going to match a dedicated stereo set-up (well not without spending a few thousand anyway!).

10. psychedelic

psychedelic
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the help guys! I borrowed an old Yamaha CDX 670 cd player and connected it to my AV amp via cheap stereo ICs. The sound stage is much better with this set up and I think a 'modern' cd player should sound better. I am not entirely convinced with the 'amp theory' as my Denon 1905 is fantastic with DTS cds. So I think since I am using the DAcs in the receiver to play cds which are primarily for surround sound processing the botttleneck is actually the DAC in the receiver or the transport may be!!

I appreciate other's view in this matter