Home theatre-attempt No2 with 132" cinemascope screen

soupdragon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

Post 46, page 2 shows the beginning of phase 3 about to take place...happy days! 05/10/10

EDIT - Check out top of page 2 for my new front floorstanders - "If Carlsberg did speakers....!!!LOL 28/3/10

Re-edit: Bottom of page 2 - new B&W front 3, 2 more amps and a new surround back 16/05/10

I completed Home Theatre attempt No1 in July 2009, and since then I've got upgraded the amp, subwoofer, center speaker, surrounds for 7.1, bi-amped the fronts and built a custom made 132" cinemascope screen with masking for 106" 16:9 screen - so yeah, I've been busy!

Thinking that I was delighted with what I had 6 months ago, I'm hoping I can stay happy with this set-up for a bit longer:rotfl:

Here's some pics - feel free to ask questions or add comments and as I'm sure you've gathered - I'm very open to changing things so any improvment suggestions are very welcome too!

Here's attempt No 1:

manutd037.jpg

Here's the new and improved set-up:

1.jpg

With hidden cabinets shown:

8.jpg

106" - 16:9 screen shot:

22-1.jpg

132" cinemascope screen shot:

3.jpg

Seating:

92.jpg

Electric recliner in corner:

10i.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

My glory pic!

15.jpg

amp:

19.jpg

Samsung BDP 3600 blu-ray player/file streamer:

20.jpg

Mordaunt short 902 fronts:

24.jpg

Was gonna get floorstanders but got this instead: REL Q400e - 12" sub-woofer, 400w continuous power to fill those low frequencies - my favourite piece of kit!

26.jpg

Front right cabinet with cover off:

4.jpg

red door slides across to access dvd's, cd's etc...same on the left side too:

6.jpg

Here's my garage conversion project planned for 2011 which will be home theatre III (with bar and pool table) HERE

Last edited:
look so good bro, i like it.
very nice budweiser cooler:thumbsup:
where is the projector?

Last edited:
always thought Antrim was a posh place to live with a set up like that :D Great looking system you have there. Bet it sounds good. A friend of mine has an anamorphic setup, whilst it take a little time to get used to it, it sure is good :thumbsup:

Also have you tried to tention the screen abit to get that little ripple out of it ?

Last edited:
Great scope setup. How far back is the proj to get such a big pic from a HD65? Zoomed or lensed?

look so good bro, i like it.
very nice budweiser cooler:thumbsup:
where is the projector?

Projector is behind the sofa! Will post another pic...

Great looking room :smashin:

Your center is off center :eek: (that would bug the hell out of me)

Bugs me too! - to get it in the center means putting the sub in the corner which wasn't as good as where it is now sound wise - a compromise I had to make when everythings weighed up

always thought Antrim was a posh place to live with a set up like that :D Great looking system you have there. Bet it sounds good. A friend of mine has an anamorphic setup, whilst it take a little time to get used to it, it sure is good :thumbsup:

Also have you tried to tention the screen abit to get that little ripple out of it ?

Thanks! where you from yourself?

Its not anamorphic, I have the pj on a shelf, with 2 positions for it to move to. 16ft back for 132" cinemascope screen and for the 106" 16:9 screen I move it forward to approx 13ft....cheaper than an anamorphic lense!

I had the ripples out when I constructed it but once in postition the movement has changed it - should be an easy fix - I'll let the wood aclimatise to the room for couple of weeks and re-tighten it:rolleyes:

Last edited:
It looks like you have used black frames but did you use normal paper?

I used black frames and good quality photo paper at highest quality print settings on printer. Beware: Those 6 used a full double cartridge costing me ÂŁ30 in ink alone.

Another tip: let them dry after printing as even after 30mins or so, the touch test told me they were dry - but they weren't....I put them in the frames and got nasty smudge marks on the glass and the photo paper was then uneven looking:mad:

Expensive mistake, so be careful if you decide to make some;)

ÂŁ30 ouch.

I have access to a colour laser and don't have to pay. It is how I did my own posters here.

HOFD posters

Thats handy - printing for free:D Love your pictures and your choice of movies is ace - one of my favourite films is Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon - watched it so many times I think I could act in it!

They are A3 size so really quite big.

I found these on ebay. For ÂŁ12 and postage, professional printed signs ready to be framed.

Beautiful home theater signs

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thats great value, considering I used ÂŁ30 worth of ink to print my own:eek:

I like that setup mate....looks like the beer fridge needs stocking up though! :)

What is the construction of the screen exactly?

Looks like either some DIY action with two roller blinds wither side to mask off for 16:9, or is it a really wide manual screen with rollers over the top?

Looks good and budget friendly either way. That is a HUGE loft if you can get 16ft throw aswell :p, congrats.

What is the construction of the screen exactly?

Looks like either some DIY action with two roller blinds wither side to mask off for 16:9, or is it a really wide manual screen with rollers over the top?

Looks good and budget friendly either way. That is a HUGE loft if you can get 16ft throw aswell :p, congrats.

Its a fixed screen - built to my own spec. I've roller blinds left and right which cover the screen for 16:9 - when watching in cinemascope, the blinds go down behind the screen to give the black look all the way across to the wall:thumbsup:

Really like it ! Love the screen, the Goodfellas canvas, the hidden AV equipment etc. Bet you spend plenty of time in there?

Would love to know more about how you did the masking for the screen? Shame about those ripples, as they'd annoy me but at least you can fix it! Well done !

Awesome cinema set up there, love the anamorphic setup, bet that looks awesome watching some 1080p movies on there.

Love the pictures of your golf swing, I'm guessing your either a) a PGA pro or b) a low single figure player! I have a pretty good technique myself :thumbsup:

Awesome cinema set up there, love the anamorphic setup, bet that looks awesome watching some 1080p movies on there.

Love the pictures of your golf swing, I'm guessing your either a) a PGA pro or b) a low single figure player! I have a pretty good technique myself :thumbsup:

Well, I consider myself a pro when I'm playing Tiger Woods on the xbox:rotfl:

I hit a brick wall when I got my handicap down to 8 - I was in the form of my life, shooting under par over 9 holes etc...and then my 1st child was born so my game is a bit patchy these days!

Thanks for all the comments - I'll maybe add a step by step guide to how I did all the adjustments if anyone is interested...

Here's the view from the movie room window:

SANY0435.jpg

My house can be seen on the left - situated only 30yds from one of the tee boxes:thumbsup:

golf.jpg

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom