Home theatre advice

Flip3seven

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi. I’m thinking of venturing into the home theatre world and could do with some advice….. I have recently purchased a Samsung TV and was initially looking for a sound bar to improve the sound. After reading up however, I think I’d prefer a 3.1 home theatre system for both TV and music. I currently have a B&W Zeppelin for listening to music and would like to better this with a decent home theatre system. My budget is about £1.5k but I don’t know where to start and whether this is sufficient to get better quality music than the B&W. Your advice would be appreciated

For sure you will get much better sound over the wireless speaker with 1,5k£ 3.1 package.

What size of room you have and do you have tv at the middle of wall? Just making sure you don`t have some massive open plan room or corner tv etc. which makes things more difficult.

There is some good deals for speakers, but sadly the av-receivers costs are very high and we have to look something bit cheaper to fit in your 1,5k£ budget unless you willing up it slightly. Typically you do get some discount when you purchase speakers + amp etc. together so make sure you don`t go ordering anything blind, always negotiate. It´s a shame PT doesn`t have cheap stands so you need to buy them elsewhere.

You probably want to see some gear so let`s put popular option which most folks would enjoy in this price range.

Total 1138£ without discounts for 3.0 system with 60cm stands and av-receiver.

Subwoofer you want to order from company that specializes in woofers to get best bang for buck, no matching requirements with speakers. With your tight budget BK Electronics would be the way to go. They have new grade-b models cheaper on their 2nd ebay site called Colosussxb, members for years haven´t found any marks on these and there is few models/finishes to look at depending how tight your 1500£ is and also how much you get discount from the speaker/receiver package. The subs comes with 2year warranty, spikes, cables etc. You can also order them for bit more on their main site which has more finishes if you looking something specific to suit your room decor.

If you require something narrow (~28cm) then look BK Double Gem. You can change the black grille to white too in the 2nd one. It looks quite large due to two drivers, but in reality it´s quite compact. I can show more pictures in room if this model intrests. There is few more and better ones though..

P12-300SB has been long forum favourite around 400£. This one going very cheap.

Three reviews for it when you scroll this link down. Read up!

If you want the beefier PR version which is even better for movies, there is three of those available for around 430£. These will be shipped from Essex UK where they are built. Shipping shouldn´t cost much.

And review for the P12-PR model:

For speaker wire you want some OFC and 2,5mm/AWG14. Hifi shops are going to rob you with the cable pricing and they always try to sell some big name stuff. You won`t hear any difference so spend your money wisely, this is long time favourite for many. 15meter roll easy to cut and cheap.
Amazon product ASIN B01C79XV5W
As you are newbie to this you could order the tool which has the AWG14 so with this it´s easy to cut and strip the wires, for 4£ only. Or you can use scissors with rounding movement (stripping the outer part away), youtube comes handy if you haven´t done this earlier. :)
Amazon product ASIN B095SV7ZM8
Keep in mind you can go to local Richer Sounds listen any similar priced speakers i linked, they will surely have Bronze 50s there. Demoing is free and you don`t have to buy anything right away, you can ask package price for 3 speakers and X2700H. They typically let you compare 1-4 different models side by side, some require that you book demo time, but you can try your luck by going there if you live at neighbour..

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Thank you for the very comprehensive reply..... The room size is approx 5100mm width x 5500mm length, although it is open plan with the kitchen, so about 9300mm length in total. The TV is in the middle of the 5100mm wide wall.

I have been doing some research and I may need to increase my budget slightly.........

The AV Receiver I've been considering is the Denon AVR X2700H, along with a pair of floor standing speakers such as the DALI Spektor 6 or Q Acoustics Q3050i, together with a centre speaker and sub. It's useful to know the sub doesn't have to be matched from the same manufacturer.

My only concern is the height of the AVR unit. I would like to fit a floating unit beneath the TV to house the AVR but might struggle to accommodate it.

I will try and get to my local Richer Sounds and listen to some of the stuff they have and see what they would recommend as well.

Thank you for the very comprehensive reply..... The room size is approx 5100mm width x 5500mm length, although it is open plan with the kitchen, so about 9300mm length in total. The TV is in the middle of the 5100mm wide wall.

I have been doing some research and I may need to increase my budget slightly.........

The AV Receiver I've been considering is the Denon AVR X2700H, along with a pair of floor standing speakers such as the DALI Spektor 6 or Q Acoustics Q3050i, together with a centre speaker and sub. It's useful to know the sub doesn't have to be matched from the same manufacturer.

My only concern is the height of the AVR unit. I would like to fit a floating unit beneath the TV to house the AVR but might struggle to accommodate it.

I will try and get to my local Richer Sounds and listen to some of the stuff they have and see what they would recommend as well.

Ok that is decent sized room. Subwoofer wise i would go as large as you feel you are comfortable with. It seems Monoprice is having Valentine day deals. If you can fit the 10THX model in your room (see dimensions) then that would be best pick really if considering build quality, performance, warranty etc. Use code VALENTINE22 to get -14% off = ~430£. This is great deal!

Dali Spektor is cheaper range, sadly Dali prices are bit higher than with competitors. If you want floorstanders then look these (without the sub and surrounds). Don´t put any weight what Richer Sounds salesguy thinks is best, cause it doesn`t matter. What matters is which of these will sound best to your ears. Hopefully you can listen these three.

Dali Oberon 5

Ma Bronze 200

QA 3050i

----------------------------------

You could also get speakers from higher range with nicer wood veneer finish, but Richer Sounds doesn`t have them anymore cause the model is being discontinued. 649£/pair normally 999£ and centre is cheap too! Best deal in the UK currently.

Also the larger model:

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply. For now, I think that going down the package route will give me the best value for money. I’m leaning towards the Q Acoustics package from Peter Tyson purely for the bigger sub but think I need to hear all three to decide.

Thanks for your reply. For now, I think that going down the package route will give me the best value for money. I’m leaning towards the Q Acoustics package from Peter Tyson purely for the bigger sub but think I need to hear all three to decide.

I don´t agree with that. It would be big mistake of buying the bundled sub, you are also buying 3.1 system not 5.1 so if you ask price for 3.0 + receiver you can choose what ever you want for the woofer. Build and sound quality, performance, questionable support/service when something happens, after sale value etc. There is no reason to buy speaker manufacturer sub. Choose the speakers first with receiver and then we will see how much you can spend for the sub. You should be asking prices via emai/calling to get some base level information what kind of deals is possible.

You can hopefully listen the main speakers at dealer, but probably not the center channels which is shame cause it will be most active speaker for movies. Q Acoustics has the smallest center channel of the bunch and largest main speakers.

Last edited:
This really is a bigger deal that you may realise. I'd say 40mm spacing is a must above for air flow as avr's run with a degree of heat and dissipating that heat properly is so important so as not to damage it

If space is a premium, then many look at the Marantz NR1711 as its a dedicated slimline avr. It will work perfectly with the speakers you have mentioned and will give you that required spacing if need be

Regarding the subwoofer, many feel the cheapest way into a 5.1 system is a package created by a single manufacturer, but in reality, if you want to buy once, then you really need to ignore this as its a false economy in reality. Yes some speaker manufacturers product great woofers and package them, but many dedicated woofer manufacturers also product a similar woofer and it will usually show the speakers manufacturers woofer up even on tick over.

Yes, you might not always be able to get the same finish, but if you want to hear/feel the woofer, then purchase the right one or us a pair to really being this apart of cinema to life. In reality, in order of importance for speakers in a cinema, then its the centre, woofer and surrounds. The only reason you stop counting the front L and R is if you are doubling that up for stereo and you enjoy the sound of a floorstander

Last edited:
Thanks for your advice. I’ll get in touch with RS and hopefully listen to the speakers before deciding which ones to buy. It seems that the 5.1 package discounts are quite a considerable saving, so might be worth purchasing and selling on the components I don’t need? I don’t think I’m in a position yet to get quotes for 3.0 + receiver until I know what speakers I want…….

If space is a premium, then many look at the Marantz NR1711 as its a dedicated slimline avr. It will work perfectly with the speakers you have mentioned and will give you that required spacing if need be

I considered this too and was going to post it, but i hope there would be way to fit the normal sized receiver with the required ventilation. NR1711 is quite a compromise as you get almost half less power output, the anemic MultEQ version of Audussey and the slimline receivers doesn´t have the HDAM boards which Marantz is known for and what is often pushed. It might be enough, but then again X2700H offers much more for less money.

Thanks for your advice. I’ll get in touch with RS and hopefully listen to the speakers before deciding which ones to buy. It seems that the 5.1 package discounts are quite a considerable saving, so might be worth purchasing and selling on the components I don’t need? I don’t think I’m in a position yet to get quotes for 3.0 + receiver until I know what speakers I want…….

Those three i linked are probably are most popular choices in this price range. So you would ask the below:

Denon X2700H (if you have the space on top and sides) with:

Dali Oberon 5 & Dali Oberon Vokal

Q Acoustics 3050i & QA 3090Ci

Monitor Audio Bronze 200 & Bronze C150

Although the Silver 200 & Silver C150 would best those listed. You can probably listen the new Silver 7G 200 at Richer Sounds. If you like it then the you will like the 6G Silvers i listed which sells MUCH cheaper!

That's true, but it will still have enough power to drive the speaker to a good level of ability if looks are more important. As with everything lifestyle, there is always a compromise and yeah, it you usually pay more for the privilege which can be annoying. I agree its a shame they haven't included the HDMA, Maybe one day eh!

I don´t agree with that. It would be big mistake of buying the bundled sub, you are also buying 3.1 system not 5.1 so if you ask price for 3.0 + receiver you can choose what ever you want for the woofer. Build and sound quality, performance, questionable support/service when something happens, after sale value etc. There is no reason to buy speaker manufacturer sub. Choose the speakers first with receiver and then we will see how much you can spend for the sub. You should be asking prices via emai/calling to get some base level information what kind of deals is possible.

You can hopefully listen the main speakers at dealer, but probably not the center channels which is shame cause it will be most active speaker for movies. Q Acoustics has the smallest center channel of the bunch and largest main speakers.
The discounts applied to the 5.1 bundle simply can’t be matched when only buying 3.0 + AVR, so buying the 5.1 bundle and then selling the sub and rear speakers to fund a better sub makes sense to me and will give me the components I want

In terms of usage, it would be 70% music / 30% films, so geared towards music would be my preference

The discounts applied to the 5.1 bundle simply can’t be matched when only buying 3.0 + AVR, so buying the 5.1 bundle and then selling the sub and rear speakers to fund a better sub makes sense to me and will give me the components I want

Ask still what kind of deal they can make say you are thinking between the 5.1 bundle and 3.0 + AVR. Send email to Peter Tyson.

The Silver 200 & Silver C150 would still be my pick if you want best possible speakers for money (esp. for music listening), but you won´t get much of discount cause the speakers are dirt cheap now. As your usage leans heavily toward music maybe you could start without sub, saving up for good one. You would need to rely more on reviews and owners thoughts as the S200 can`t be listened at RS (new version only), but we have lot of owners if you look old threads. They are gorgeously made speakers that sounds good, i have heard the earlier version which sounded lovely i can`t think there would be anything that would cause listening fatigue. The situation with receivers is painfull. Only few options. I might consider RX-V6A depending how important hdmi 2.1 is to you. Yamaha has 24gbps bandwith, Denon 40gbps. But one reason going for Yamaha would be pre out for front mains if you want to add integrated stereo amp later on to take things next level.

It`s often painfull to sell the gear unless you sell dirt cheap, not sure how you would do with the warranty receipt as it has the whole system so you can´t give it to new owner.

Last edited:
@Gasp3621 Doesn't the Denon X2700H also have pre outs for front mains?

No sadly, that is one reason why folks aim for the X3700H with better room correction also. Sadly the pricing is crazy atm. From the already high RRP 999£ price to 1150£ is just too much..

RX-V6A is fairly similar feature wise to X2700H, but the hdmi 2.1 connections are lower bandwith. I don`t know is it huge deal breaker if you aren`t gamer.

Yammy bundles are cheaper with QA and Dali, but more expensive with Bronzes. Sometimes they haven`t updated the bundle price so if you are going to buy 5.1 system ask first is this best price they can do.

Example with the Bronzes 200£ more with similar price receiver is tough to swallow.

VS

I'm confused now... The pictures of the X2700H on RS website clearly show pre-outs?

I'm confused now... The pictures of the X2700H on RS website clearly show pre-outs?

It`s only for zone 2 and subwoofers (2 subs). If you would integrated stereo amp with HT-by pass feature it would power your main speakers with music listening and also with movies. But needs to have the preout for front l/r.

More questions I'm afraid.......... I'm not a gamer, so the RX-V6A may be a good alternative for music.

However, the review for the RX-V6A on whathifi, suggests that speakers other than front stereo pair must be at least 6 ohms impedance? The Oberon Vokal is only 4 ohms, so would that not be compatible?

Just called RS and apparently they can't get hold of either receiver to demo at the moment, which is a pity, because I'm at the stage where I really need to listen to some AVR & speakers to decide what to go for!

More questions I'm afraid.......... I'm not a gamer, so the RX-V6A may be a good alternative for music.

However, the review for the RX-V6A on whathifi, suggests that speakers other than front stereo pair must be at least 6 ohms impedance? The Oberon Vokal is only 4 ohms, so would that not be compatible?
Shouldn´t be issue, Yamaha always puts it like that, but in real world there haven`t been any issues that i know of. Impedance varies by frequency also. Just don`t lower the impedance switch from default and stay away of eco mode.

Can you check is there any other shops near you? Audio-T, Hifix, AV-Online, Seven Oaks Sound Vision etc. Would be nice to get some demo / comparison with few models and then you can order the system from any company that gives you best deal.

Unfortunately none of those are within 40 miles of where I live. I’ll try RS next week and every week thereafter until they get one of those AVRs in store

Just been told by Sevenoaks that the scheduled date for delivery of Yamaha AVRs is July!! In terms of demonstrations, would it be worth listening to a selection of speakers through another AVR to decide which speakers I prefer, or should I wait for the preferred Yamaha AVR? I don’t really want to purchase something without listening to it first but then again, I don’t want to wait until July……..

@Flip3seven also worth noting that the RX-V6A does have preouts for the front left and right speakers... as does the NR1711.

Hi Flip

You're not too far away from us - we have the Denon 2700 and the Yamaha A2A/A4A out on the floor at the moment. Sadly the RX-V4A came and went (stock has been very very short on these). We are still awaiting our V6A shipment which is imminent. I'll be getting one out too once they arrive.

We also have the DALI Oberon 5 5.1 out in the demo room too.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom