Home Theater Upgrade. Advice Needed

whoster69

Novice Member
I'm getting ready to upgrade our AV gear as part of a remodel we are doing in our living room and I'd appreciate some advice. We watch a lot of streaming TV, listen to music CDs and stream music from Amazon and YouTube Music. We also watch DVDs and Blu-rays.

We have the following that we want to continue using:
-Blu-ray player (Samsung BD-F7500)
-DVD player (Oppo DV-980H)
-CD Changer (Onkyo DX-C390)
-Receiver (Onkyo TXNR787)

We plan on adding the following:
-A new TV (probably the Sony A90j 83")
-A Sony PS5
-New speakers to replace our old AV123 Onix Rocket speakers which just are too big for this space

Key points:
My budget for speakers is $2,500 - $5,000.

I'd prefer to go with smaller speakers because I don't have a lot of room for them where I want to place them. I do have room for a sub or two.

We don't plan to have everything in place until the end of this year

Here are my questions:

Question 1: If I do go with a speaker set up, how many? I know I would need at least a center channel, a left and right front, at least one sub, and a couple of rear speakers. Is it really worth getting any others?

Question 2: What brands would people recommend?

Question 3: Is there anything new coming out between now and Christmas 2021 that would be worth waiting for?

Question 4: I'm leaning toward replacing the Receiver I have with the Onkyo TX-NR7100 because it has multiple HDMI 2.1 ports. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance for any ideas and suggestions.

Last edited:

gibbsy

It would be helpful if you could post a diagram, with dimension, of the room and a couple of photographs will also be helpful. The number of speakers depends on your room and where your MLP is going to be. 5.1 is really the minimum you should be aiming for. Atmos would need a pair of inceiling speakers or Atmos upfiring speakers requiring a 5.1.2 speaker set up.

Lot of music listening going on which makes the choice of AV amp needing consideration. With that in mind the front three speakers are going to very important. Certainly needing to come from the same model range. If you want to build slowly then spending all your budget on the correct amp and just a quality pair of front speakers makes sense and add the extra speakers and subs when funds allow.

whoster69

Novice Member
Unfortunately, the room dimensions are changing somewhat so I'm not sure a photo would help. I can give dimensions and will do so ASAP.

I'm not sure what MLP is. Main listening place, perhaps?

whoster69

Novice Member
Here is the floor plan with dimensions.
Livingroom.png

Last edited:

gibbsy

You are correct about MLP. Looking at your plan then plenty of scope for a minimum 5.1.2. As far as AV amps are concerned I've never been a fan of Onkyo. You also have to bear in mind that although Onkyo have new models coming out this year they are in financial trouble. That effects Pioneer as well as they are owned by Onkyo and Pioneer's customer services and support has been pretty non existent for over the last year or so.

I would look at the Marantz models with music in mind as they are probably the best of the main stream amps outside of the high end makers such as NAD, Arcam and Anthem. Marantz, because of their signature, will suit a great many make of speakers and blend especially well with KEF.

whoster69

Novice Member
Thank you for the advice and information. I will look into those. What about Dennon? What is it that you don't like about Onkyo?

I'm aware of the financial issues with Onkyo and I agree that it could be an issue to buy from them.

gibbsy

Thank you for the advice and information. I will look into those. What about Dennon? What is it that you don't like about Onkyo?

I'm aware of the financial issues with Onkyo and I agree that it could be an issue to buy from them.
I don't like the sound signature from Onkyo amps, either AV or stereo. My Onkyo stereo amp also proved unreliable although in fairness it was an entry level and it was a pretty long time ago. Personal thing really, be a boring old world if we all liked the same thing.

As far as the future looks for Onkyo/Pioneer I've been very disappointed with the support for my Pioneer LX500 4K player, it's almost non existent with a promised HDR10+ upgrade being three years behind the original date.

I really do hope that Onkyo do step up as the upcoming models could really shake up the AV amp market with their inclusion of Dirac.

Gasp3621

Distinguished Member
Here is the floor plan with dimensions.
View attachment 1503799

So how is the room going to change?

Is your main listening position the two chairs near the rear wall?

So you have door left side of the tv and what is that grey thing on right side?

Were you planning to wall mount the speakers at front/rear or using some speaker stands?

Is there any chance of moving the chairs closer to speakers? You are sitting 17feet / 5meters away and that is not good thing especially if you are going to buy small speakers. I wonder is there option to change the order somehow..

Last edited:

Jester1066

I really do hope that Onkyo do step up as the upcoming models could really shake up the AV amp market with their inclusion of Dirac.
I'm also waiting to see how this pans out. Particularly if they implement a fully licensed version of Dirac. Which in an affordable receiver, could well be a game changer indeed.

whoster69

Novice Member
So how is the room going to change?
The floor plan represents the changes.
Is your main listening position the two chairs near the rear wall?
Yes.
So you have door left side of the tv and what is that grey thing on right side?
Yes. Door to the left. The grey thing is the return for my HVAC. It takes up space in the room.
Were you planning to wall mount the speakers at front/rear or using some speaker stands?
Two speaker stands in the front or floor mounted and wall mount the rear speakers.
Is there any chance of moving the chairs closer to speakers? You are sitting 17feet / 5meters away and that is not good thing especially if you are going to buy small speakers. I wonder is there option to change the order somehow..
I've wondered the same thing. If the room were bigger, I could make two separate areas, but with this size, that just wouldn't work without it looking weird.

whoster69

Novice Member
I'm also waiting to see how this pans out. Particularly if they implement a fully licensed version of Dirac. Which in an affordable receiver, could well be a game changer indeed.
That was my main reason for looking at Onkyo this time around (though I have owned them before as well as other brands).

whoster69

Novice Member
I don't like the sound signature from Onkyo amps, either AV or stereo. My Onkyo stereo amp also proved unreliable although in fairness it was an entry level and it was a pretty long time ago. Personal thing really, be a boring old world if we all liked the same thing.
I wonder if we had the same model. I had problems a number of years ago with an Onkyo receiver as well!
As far as the future looks for Onkyo/Pioneer I've been very disappointed with the support for my Pioneer LX500 4K player, it's almost non existent with a promised HDR10+ upgrade being three years behind the original date.

That isn't good to hear but isn't surprising for a company that has been struggling.

The latest video from AVForums

Toy Stories - Turning Toys into Blockbuster Movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom