Home Theater Speakers Opinions...

ElCid79

Standard Member
Hey y'all.

New to the forum, so its nice to meet all of you. Thanks for the help in advance.

I have an older stereo that I absolutely love. I started building it when I was still in high school in the late 90s. My tastes in music have not changed much. I still like to listen to classical, jam bands, reggae, and alternative. Kind of a hodge podgery as well as home theater utilization.

Well way back when, I had a yamaha RV-1105 powering a set of Klipsch SF-1s as my mains, an SC-1 as my center, and a KSW-12 as the sub, and a few (I am embarrassed to say this) boom box speakers as my rears. HAHA.

Well, over the years, I changed some parts. Namely, the rears. I replaced them with some older Boston Acoustic HD-7s that I borrowed from my father.

Following a bad lightning strike that took out my Yamaha, I found a good deal and bought a Marantz SR7001.

And then I hooked up a Monster - HDP2500.

Well this black friday, I noticed a set of KF-28s at Best Buy for 224 a piece. Judging from build quality, appearances etc they seem like a newer bigger version of the SF-1s. (granted when the SF-1s were built, klipsch was not at best buy.) After ordering them I understand it the kf-28s are a "best buy" exclusive, which honestly has me slightly concerned. Did they sacrifice build quality or components for the sake of mass production. But I digress.

My plan is to put my old beloved SF-1s in the rears. Obviously put the kf-28s up front. Return my HD7s to my father. And if he isn't using them, put them as sides on a 7.1 setup at my next house.

What are your thoughts on this setup.

I know its not ideal, and definitely not as fancy as what all of you are working with, but I am just trying to get a good quality setup that will last me a while. Like my little SF-1s have. Thoughts?

Thanks

ElCid79

Standard Member
Oh this may help..

----SF1------
DIMENSIONS: 33" (83.82cm) x 8" (20.32cm) x 13.6" (34.54cm)
ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: Medium density fiberboard construction (MDF)
ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass reflex via rear-mounted port
FINISHES: Black ash vinyl veneer
FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 40Hz-20kHz(+-)3dB
HIGH FREQUENCY HORN: 5" square 90(o)x60(o) Tractrix(r) Horn
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms
POWER HANDLING: 100 watts maximum continuous (400 watts peak)
SENSITIVITY: 94dB @ 1watt/1meter
TWEETER: K-101-S 1" (2.54cm) Aluminum dome compression driver
WEIGHT: 33 lbs. (15kg)
WOOFER: K-1075-SB 6.5" (16.51cm) IMG cone / cast polymer frame

----KF-28----
CROSSOVER FREQUENCY: 1800Hz
DEPTH: 16" (40.6 cm)
ENCLOSURE MATERIAL: MDF (medium density fiberboard)
ENCLOSURE TYPE: Bass-reflex via front-firing port
FINISH: Black Ash vinyl
FREQUENCY RESPONSE: 35Hz-23KHz ± 3dB
HEIGHT: 43.25" (109.9cm) with feet
HIGH FREQUENCY DRIVER: 1" (2.54cm) Aluminum diaphragm compression driver mated to 90° x 90° square Tractrix® Horn
INPUTS: Dual binding posts / bi-wire / bi-amp
LOW FREQUENCY DRIVER: Dual 8" (20.3cm), magnetically shielded IMG woofers
LOW FREQUENCY EXTENSION: 32Hz
NOMINAL IMPEDANCE: 8 ohms compatible
POWER HANDLING: 150W RMS / 600W Peak
SENSITIVITY: 98dB @ 2.83V / 1m
WEIGHT: 59lbs (26.8kg)
WIDTH: 9.5" (24.1cm)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Trinnov Room Optimiser: A full explanation of Trinnov and its room optimiser technology
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom