• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Question Home Theater Receiver recommendation help

stallionrx

Novice Member
Im looking to purchase a home theater receiver and am having trouble deciding which direction to go.

Im looking for the receiver to cover/switch between the following zones:

1 main family room (walls already hard-wired for 5.1)
1 living room (hard-wired 2 channel)
1 outdoor deck (hard-wired 2 channel)

Id also like it to be able to connect to some wireless speakers into the adjacent kitchen.

I was looking at systems capable of handing up to 9.2 channels. The main family room is our typical lounge around room that I would like to be able to run at least a 5.1 channel system in. I dont like the idea of hanging speakers on the ceilings at different heights to capture the full effect of the 9.2 system as I dont want to ruin the aesthetics of the room and I'm pretty sure my wife would complain.

Despite the fact of not fully utilizing the full capabilities of the receiver I'm still looking at systems designed to do so as they seem to have the most updated software/hardware to be able to handle my wifi/bluetooth needs without sacrificing quality of sound. Im not sure if I'm just wasting my money on features/channels I most likely won't be using.

Im looking at the Marantz SR7011 9.2, Pioneer SC-LX701 and Yamaha RX-A3060.

Any recommendations as which way to go?

Should I just consider a cheaper 5.1 system considering I most likely will NOT be running a 9.2 channel system?

Thanks for any help.

My father was into high end audio back in the 90s and I have some knowledge of the upper end stuff..Krell,Mcintosh,ML,etc. but really havent looked into home theater stuff in about 15 years and the advances are pretty impressive. I may do a dedicated room in the future, but just looking for something to add some extra effects to movies and play music with a good quality system.

Thanks for any help!

dante01

Distinguished Member
Add the Denon AVRX4300 to your list. This is basically the same receiver as the Marantz SR7011, but costs less. The cheapest 9 channel receiver currently available is the Marantz SR6011, but I'd suggest the DEnon AVRX4300 better value for money.

You'd not have the required number of amplified channels needed for your 2 additional zones if only going with a 5.1 receiver. You'd also be hard pushed finding a 5.1 receiver that also includes the other abilities you are looking for.

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom