1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Theater Master MX-700

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Control & Remote Controls' started by loonatic, Aug 24, 2003.

1. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Does anyone here have the Home Theater Master MX-700 remote control.

I've tried a pronto but I'm not keen on the touchscreen or all that faffy about programming the thing.

Have read the review over on remotecentral.com and they seem to like it but would like to hear from someone who actually owns one or it's sibling the MX-500.

Cheers, Lee

2. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    I have a MX-500. I also have a nice piece of kit that works alongside it called IRClone . This is a little box that connects via USB and decode the MX500's "clone" IR stream to allow Pronto-like editing facilities via a PC. I myself wrote a Pronto CCF conversion tool called CCF2MX to work alongside the IRClone software. This allows virtually any Pronto IR code to be used with the MX500 remote.

I highly recommend the MX500, you can pick it up in the UK for around £100 (FPSGamer). However, the MX700 gives you the IRClone-style PC-editing facilities as standard, so it really becomes a question of cost; MX500 + IRClone or the MX700 itself. Also, you get a second "baby" remote with the MX700 that you might find useful.

A down point to the MX700 is that although it looks practically the same as the MX500, careful examination of the button layout on the MX700 shows that the chapter skip buttons ( |<< and >>| ) have been removed, which has upset people who required them for say, DVD or TiVo.

Personally, I went the MX500 route based purely on cost (and I didn't want the second "baby" remote and it stuck in my throat that I'd be paying for something I'd never use).

Feel free to ask any further questions, I'll do my best to answer (rather than rambling on here any longer!)...

3. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Excellent...just the sort of reply I was hoping for :smashin:

I also noticed that on the MX-700 the record button seems to have vanished also whereas on the MX-500 it's just where you'd want it. This is important as I use Sky+ for recording stuff all the time.

I downloaded the manual for both models but have not yet had a chance to read them.

Can you tell me if every button on the MX-500 is teachable ? or are there some that are fixed ?

Also, can you have the volume going through to the AMP regardless of which function you are on ?

I will look into the IRClone kit but to be honest I hate the pronto edit software so much :mad:

The Mx-500 seems a good buy at just around £100...I had also seen the FPSGamer site and they sell the MX-700 without the little remote which is also good as I'd never use it.

Ah well...I better have a read of the manuals.

Thanks, Lee

4. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Just to follow-up on questions:

All buttons are teachable - that is, they can have at least one IR code assigned to them. The MX700 allows macros to be assigned to any button, the MX500 limits you to a subset of the buttons. In practice, I found the MX500 to be more than capable for most AV setups. However, if you must have a macro for every other button, the MX700 has the edge here.

Both remotes support "punch through" commands. This allows you to use IR codes defined on a separate device to the one you're on. I use this feature, works exactly as you'd expect. My volume controls always operate the AMP, even when I'm on my Sky+ or DVD device page.

The IRClone software is very usable. You can download it (as a demo) to try it as far as I'm aware. Same goes for the MX700 PC editor software. That's a free download from the UTM site.

Personally, I'm glad I went for the IRClone software, just because entering the text labels etc is a laborious affair through the MX500 itself and I already have a Pronto - my tool allowed me to convert those codes I had to the MX500 without having to go through a long-winded teaching process with the Pronto. Nice to be able to back everything up once you've got it how you want it too. I think the MX500 would be a setup chore without it, especially if you have a lot of codes to learn. If I had to choose again, I'd go for the MX500 again, the missing buttons on the MX700 put me off completely.
    Incidentally, I've not used my Pronto once since getting the MX500. Read into that what you will :smashin:

5. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Loonatic, did you get the MX700? I have been looking at it as well. It looks just what I need.

I am not a fan of LCD remotes (nor is the other half). So I want a really good mainly button remote. Looked at the Harmony 768 in the US seems OK but very light and possibly not very hardwearing. So that put me off.

Loada how do you program the colour buttons (red, Yellow, green, blue) that Sky or teletext use on the MX500.

I have been wondering about this and cant figure it out.

Rog

6. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Simple! I've assigned them to 4 of the configurable LCD screen buttons. These sit on the left and right (5 on each side) of the LCD screen. So, my Sky+ page reads something like:

RED SKY
    YELLO SETUP
    GREEN TEXT
    BLUE INFO
    GUIDE BACK

(formatting might have gone awry here)

On the MX500, you have 2 pages like this for each "device". On the MX700, its 4 pages.

7. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice one. Ta. Just working myself up for a purchase.

Cheers Rog

8. bobbles

bobbles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    how does the 500 treat batteries

I have a Kam which is a bit heavy on the batteries

9. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi Rog,

Not yet...it's on my ever growing list of things to buy when I have some spare cash...but I still can't decide between the 500 or the 700. I prefer the look of the 700 but it is missing several key buttons...but I think I could make more use of the extra macro keys on the 700...hmmm

I know what you mean...I have tried both the new and the old Pronto and could not get on well with either...I like to be able to access the key features without having to constantly look at the remote and the non-tactile nature of the pronto's makes this impossible.

If you get your's first let us know how you get on with it :smashin:

Cheers, Lee

10. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    re: Battery life on the MX500. I've had mine for nearly 4 months and it's used throughout the day, every day. The batteries have JUST started going this week. I've had no battery-low indication from the remote as yet but the IR signal has got very weak. I swapped the batteries the other night and everything is back to normal. Completely painless. I'd suggest it's capable of around 3 months per battery set, under reasonably-heavy use. The batteries I've just removed were Duracel alkalines.

11. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I got my MX 700 on friday. Had to visit the Outlaws over the weekend so I only got down to some programing on Sunday.

I am really impressed with this remote. Because I have UK equipment none of it was covered by built in codes. Nor were any of them on remote central.

So I learnt all of the codes, added shortcuts, programmed some macros.

This is a really nice remote to hold and operate. LCD is clear. Programming via the PC is straightforward after a bit of RTFM.

Programmed in
    Sony 36FS70 TV
    Sky + V2 sat box
    Denon 2900 Universal player
    Linn CD
    Denon AVC11-ASR Amp.
    And Favorite channels for sky so one button push for fav channels.

Even the bird managed to use it after a bit of coaching.

Next Iam going to build her own page so Macros can configure the system for her to Watch Sky or DVD, listen to CD, SACD, DVDA when I am out.

Reckon it will take a short amount of time to crack that.

All I need now are more devices to program in.

Rog

12. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Hi Rog,

Glad to hear that you like it...it has reached the top of my to buy list so hopefully I'll get my hands on one next month.

Where did you get yours from ?

And how well does the backlight work ?

Cheers, Lee

13. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lee I got mine from one of the UK authorised distributors
    FPSGamer http://www.fpsgamer.co.uk/hcinema/remotes.htm
    They sell it without the sidekick so it costs a bit less. Alan at FPS was very helpfull.

The backlight looks good. However I rarely watch in the dark.

But I think it is very useable. Backlight button is easy to get to. You can program the amount of time it stays on for as well.

Only issue I have had is with the Denon AVC-A11SR volume control. When I learnt Vol+ and Vol- it worked fine. But if you held either volume button down it only sent one IR code. So I had to click like a mad bloke to get it to go up or down.

However I have just changed the Vol buttons to the built in code for the Denon 3803 and holding the button down now cranks the volume up and down. All Denons share the same codes it seems.

Now just got to make it bird proof.

Rog

14. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Well I ordered my MX700 from FPSGamer last Wednesday and have been told that it's been posted and will be with me in the morning.

So here's hoping it's as good as it sounds.

Thanks for the tip about the Denon amp as I have a 3803 so that will save me some agro.

Cheers, Lee

15. loonatic

loonatic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Got my MX700 this morning and it is a top bit of kit :smashin:

Very easy to set-up, especially compared to the Pronto software.

Have set-up my:

Denon 3803 AMP
    Denon 2900 DVD
    Sony 30" LCD TV
    Sky+ Box

Along with a couple of Macros and some favourite's.

Very pleased with it :D

Cheers, Lee

16. rnjones

rnjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lee sounds like you cracked it pretty quick. I have got my activity macros working now and even the other half thinks its great.

All I need is another load of gadgets to control now :D

Rog

17. BigH

BigH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Hi guys,

I've had the MX700 for some time and it's little brother MX200. Both are fine pieces of kit. The MX200 is much maligned but really good for my wife, it save explaining all the buttons on the 700!! It even survived a dunking in a hot cup of cofee, I rinsed it in water, dried it out, hey presto it worked!

I use mine with the following:

Panasonic Plasma
    Denon 3803
    Sky digital
    Panasonic VCR
    ISCAN Ultra
    Pioneer 646 DVD

Macros cannot be attached directly to all buttons however there are some tricks and work arounds to make it happen.

There's a new one out now with radio capability that looks good, personally I don't need it at present.

Hope that helps.

Regards Bigh

18. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Is there a chance to convert CCF files to the MX700?

19. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    The MX [700] Editor software (as of a couple of versions ago) already has built-in CCF-conversion!

20. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    but can you assign a Hexa IR code (copy paste) - to turn a dvd player to multi-region?

if so, how?

21. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    The only way you can do it through the MX editor (as far as I'm aware) is load an existing CCF that has the code you need (there is no cut & paste facility for CCF codes). However, you COULD just create a CCF yourself with ProntoEdit or Tonto, both are free downloads. Then, load that CCF into MXEditor?

22. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    deleted (duplicate post) - sorry :confused:

23. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ok. thanks!

24. mutley

mutley
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    well, been playing with mx-editor but can't find how to open ccf files in the editor.

any help?

thanks
    :confused:

25. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +48
    Use the "Universal Browser" (it has an icon on the toolbar). It pops up a separate window with a single "open" button on its toolbar. You can import a .ccf file into that window then drag the "learned data" codes into your MX700 setup.