Home theater Heaphones required.

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by mclingo, Jul 27, 2018.

1. mclingo

mclingo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,246
    Hi, i'm looking for some decent surround headphones to listen to movies late night. My first choice was to pickup a used pair of PS4 platinums as they could be used with PC and had low enough latency. These sound pretty good but the surround performance with Windows 10 spatial sound and dolby atmos for headphones is pretty much ZERO.

After reading loads of reviews I decided to pickup some Arctis 7's, again, sound is fantastic, low latency and onboard Virtual 7.1. Surround is pretty bad though, no positioning I can here at all.

I know i'm not going to get the same performance of my Home 5.1.2 atmos setup but I thought i'd get something on the scale of surround, i'm not really getting anything at all.

I toyed with the idea of getting the True surrounds headphones but most are really bulky, plug ugly and require a large breakout box, SPDIF or HDMI connections, something i'm trying to avoid.

Can anyone recommend a pair to try which are better than the Arctis 7 for surround, i'll consider anything at any price right now.

Cheers :)

2. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,323
    I don't think any headphone, even those purporting to mimic surround sound, is going to get anywhere near the experience of listening in your favourite chair with all speakers going. A good pair of openbacks can certainly give a sense of soundstage and can make late night listening a fairly good experience. I do notice a difference when listening to the LPCM 2.0 track and 5.1 Dolby/DTS through the headphones and often the 5.1 gives a greater sense of depth even though it's obviously downmixed for the 'phones.

Personally I'd not consider 'surround' headphones as I've bought all mine with just music in mind but with my Oppo PM1s I've been quietly impressed by it's filmatic abilities. They are certainly much better at film than my closedback Shures.

3. mclingo

mclingo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,246
    thanks very much for your reply. I'm beginning to come to this conclusion myself and I dont need a mic so i'm now looking at everything.

However I gate wires so they've got to be wireless, these Arctis 7's were supposed to be "lag free" this is also a lie, there is at least 50ms lag with the app installed, possible more.

I'm going to experiment with Dolby atmos for headphones again but i've also installed the free RAZER surround software as Steelseries surround just makes everything sound crap with no upgrade in sound stage at all I can hear.

So, i'm now looking for a sub £200 wireless pair of openbacks, this is providing difficult outside of used items on ebay.

I guess I could go wired or wired USB but I can find very few reasonably priced open backs at all.