1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

home theater environment advice

Discussion in 'LCD & LED LCD TVs' started by globero, Apr 20, 2005.

1. globero

globero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello.

I need all help you can give me with the composition of my room.

--- Sources I've got (or will got) ---
    - Aerial tv
    - dvd (component or dvi preferred)
    - xbox (component preferred)
    - barebone (vga == dvi)
    - tdt or dtd (component? or rgb scart)

--- Distance ---
    The sitting point (sofa) is between 2.5 meters (8.2 foot) and 3.5 meters (11.5 foot).

--- Purpose ---
    I will use the tv for all sources, especially for internet and dvd.

--- Posibilities ---
    I'm doubting between the 32pf9986 or the 37pf9986 (in order to see greater the pc source)

I have been looking for a/v receivers to manage all imputs, but I think I will need something more like a switcher: http://www.smarthome.com/7772.html

--- Conclusion ---
    What do you advise me?

- 32pf9986 or 37pf9986?
    - A good receiver or a decent receiver (denon dht-500sd system) with a switcher feeding the dvd-receiver?

I need help, JIMSAM are you there? :lease:

Thanks to all members that make this forum so wonderfull day after day.

2. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Forget the Phillips if you wish to use it with a PC, search the forum for the pronlrms that people have had.
    The screen for PC use is the Sharp, but you will have to wait to the summer to get one!

3. jimsan

jimsan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Hi Globero!

As jimg says, the 9986 doesn't display full screen PC inputs. It does, however, display nearly full screen ie, 1280x768. This leaves two narrow black bands up each side of the screen making it a 15:9 aspect ratio. Doesn't bother me too much, but does bother others.

I am currently awaiting confirmation on the new Philips 9830's abilities with PC inputs. This TV will be available in August and is rumoured to be a lot more flexible with PC inputs.

As you may have gathered, I have the Denon DHT500 running in my room with the 32"9986 and my room size and viewing distance seem very similar to yours....The Denon is fantastic.

I'll get back to you later when I've had more time to find out about the PC compatibility of the 9830 and to allow to give you a more thorough answer.

Jimmy

4. globero

globero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Uuuuuuuuffffffffffff

9830 :clap: in august (or september, or october, who know?), just when I get married.

It's enticing, but perhaps, too tight :(

really 32" better than 37"??, can I see letters of this forum in the 32" from 11.5 foot?

thank you

5. jimg

jimg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
  6. globero

globero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I already know the problem about pc resolutions in the 9986. It's documented in its web. But I think 1280x768 will be enough to browse Internet or write a doc.

The point to prefer phillips 9986 rather than sharp ga3e or ga5e is its performance with almost any signal (from poor signals to high quality signals). It's where I hear.

Thanks for the advice.