Home system advice (please)

AVchunk

Standard Member
Hi all, long time since I have visited these shores, hope someone will be able to help me.

I have my TV system pretty much sorted;

Sony 42" TV
Sony DVD/CD player
Harman Kardon AV amp
Sony PS3
Virgin+ box (switching to Sky HD+ on house move in 2 weeks)

I am pretty happy with the above setup but I am struggling to connect the PS3 to my NAS drive, I have the Western Digital 2TB NAS which is DNLA but although the PS3 will recognise it, it will not see that there is anything on it, mostly AVI. Do I have to register it as a DIVx product or is there anything else I need to do.

Would I be better off buying a box to plug into the TV that would also connect to the home network router, I have seen popcorn hour or Lacie do their LaCinema drives which seem to do what I am after.

If anyone has any help on getting the PS3 to read the contents of the NAS drive then this would be the best (through no further outlay) option.

Thanks all in advance for any answers and replies.

Ian

next010

Distinguished Member
No you shouldn't have to do anything with registering.

If there is a firmware update for the NAS I would install that as the DLNA media server would most likely be update in case it's running an older version. I assume there is some folders that are monitored by the DLNA server on the NAS so content has to go into those folders to be available on the media server listings.

I think you can access the Twonky media server config on the NAS by typing in its IP address though I forget the exact details on what you enter, Google will probably tell you.

AVchunk

Standard Member
No you shouldn't have to do anything with registering.

If there is a firmware update for the NAS I would install that as the DLNA media server would most likely be update in case it's running an older version. I assume there is some folders that are monitored by the DLNA server on the NAS so content has to go into those folders to be available on the media server listings.

I think you can access the Twonky media server config on the NAS by typing in its IP address though I forget the exact details on what you enter, Google will probably tell you.
Thanks for the reply, I had all the content of the drive in my own folder in the public folder, tried putting it in the dedicated 'shared video' folder and the PS3 now sees it, although as its AVI it is saying that the data type is unsupported, d'oh.

Dont suppose you (or anyone else) knows how to get the PS3 to support AVI files?

Ian

next010

Distinguished Member
Depends on what kind of .avi files they are, DivX/AVI is supported but other codecs within the .avi are not.

Mediainfo will tell you what they are.

What you can also try is re-packing them in a .divx container, you can use AVIAddXSubs to do this (even if if not using subtitles which is its purpose). The process should be very quick, the PS3 supports DivX in .divx containers as well.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom