Home setup advice - HDMI - Magic Eye etc

SavorettiMoretti

Established Member
Reaction score
I've read lots of useful info on here regarding different methods of setup, but i'm still questioning which is the best option. Here is the situation...

I currently have the main aerial down into the sky box then coax out of RF2 into an amplifier in the loft which then distributes to each room in the house (minus the kitchen) allowing me to use a magic eye in every room.

We are having an extension to the kitchen next month and i'll be putting a tv on the wall. I don't want sky multi room or to move the sky box into the kitchen. But what I do want is the ability to view sky in HD.

From researching, I should wire a new coax down to the kitchen, then have a powered HDMI splitter out of the sky box - then run a high speed 20m HDMI cable direct to the new tv in the kitchen. (I don't necessarily need the HDMI splitter right now as there is no tv currently in the room that the sky box is wired to.)

If anyone can give me any further advice whether this is the best method or not it will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Jonny

Welcome to the forum.
I'm not clear about either the present setup or the new one - can you expand on both?

I currently have the main aerial down into the sky box then coax out of RF2 into an amplifier in the loft which then distributes to each room in the house (minus the kitchen) allowing me to use a magic eye in every room.

The new setup will be all of the above with the addition of a coax to the kitchen (for magic eye) and a HDMI 20m run from the box in the living room to the kitchen.

20m is a long run for HDMI, you'd probably want an active cable. Running it over cat5/6 via baluns will likely be more reliable and cheaper though. Run the coax for magic eye plus at least 3 cat5/6 cables, two for HD video distribution and one for data, add spares for future use as you see fit.

I was reading up on cat5/6 cable. Not sure I will need one for data as the tv has wireless and also if i'm watching sky hd through the cat5 the sky box has an internet cable into it.

Do I need some sort of converter box for hdmi to cat5. At what point should I need a cat6 cable?

Also why are 2 cat cables required for HD?

Wired is more reliable than wireless and runs faster, depends what you want really, wireless may be sufficient. Yes you need hardware on each end of the cable. You can do it with one cable but that's HDMI over IP and needs a fast network in place and is expensive. Cat 5e is fine for most circumstances but never a bad idea to buy better.

Luckily for me a lad at work has a cat6 drum so can hopefully use that! Presume i'll need a HDMI splitter at some point if I get round to putting a tv back in the room where the sky box is.

Will I be getting 1080p over cat6?

Any recommendations on baluns?

Sky TV doesn't do 1080p.

A HDMI connection from Sky machine to TV will of course provide whatever form of signal the Sky machine is currently providing.

Wired is more reliable than wireless and runs faster, depends what you want really, wireless may be sufficient. Yes you need hardware on each end of the cable. You can do it with one cable but that's HDMI over IP and needs a fast network in place and is expensive. Cat 5e is fine for most circumstances but never a bad idea to buy better.

HDMI Over Single Cat5/6 is usually HDBaseT rather than IP, and though more expensive than the dual Cat5 solutions £179+Vat it supports longer lengths and higher resolutions. Though higher resolution support not necessary if Sky.

I think I'll be going down the dual cat6 with sender and receiver. See how I get on with that

Make sure that they are powered ones and rather than having a separate Magic Eye you should get ones with IR pass thru as well

Make sure that they are powered ones and rather than having a separate Magic Eye you should get ones with IR pass thru as well

I want an ariel signal into the tv anyway so it's no extra running the cable for magic eye

That's aerial.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom