Home Set-up

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by Hawkis, Oct 19, 2003.

1. Hawkis

Hawkis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Following on from some excellent advice from Rasczak, I am preparing for delivery of my Panasonic E60 Recoder and Sky+. Used in conjunction with a 32" Sony Wega (two scarts, side phonos, and s-video is what I can recall as the wife has washed the floor and I'm locked in the bedroom till it dries); what would be the best way of wiring it all together? Rasczak already recommended Sky+ into AV2 of the E60 for RGB recordings, so I've got a head start there. Should I employ both AV1 and AV2 (scarts) in the TV? I currently share AV1 between a Samsung 511 DVD player and Sky at the mo but the quality is not astounding and I have to switch the DVD player off for Sky to reappear of course and cannot be bothered to rewire with new equipment coming this week so would rather plug the E60 and Sky+ into separate scarts in the TV when I set it all up. But who will get the coveted AV1 scart, and who will come a close, but honourable, second in to AV2? Finally, somewhere in the mix will be a Kenwood five disc CD player. Should I just phono it to the E60? I know it has two analogue audio phone inputs, but for listening/recording music is this sufficient or is there a better way?As always, your advice is much appreciated.

2. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    :blush: Shhh - you'll upset Primitive.

This is bit subjective as it depends on what you use most and I'm not sure if your TV has one or two RGB sockets.

TWO RGB EQUIPPED SOCKETS
    I would connect up as follows:

Sky TV Out > AV2 E60 and then AV1 > TV AV1

Samsung 511 DVD player > TV AV2

The benefit of hooking up like this is you'll be able to make the best recordings from Sky (RGB). The limitation is if the E60 is recording then you won't be able to watch Sky - this shouldn't be too much of a problem because you can Timeslip on the E60 (i.e. watch any recording on the disk). If you have a spare composite connection on the TV you could hook this upto the Sky VCR socket although the picture would be a lower quality than the RGB out obviously.

ONE RGB EQUIPPED SOCKET
    I would purchase a 2 to 1 RGB capable splitter (have a look on www.keene.co.uk for example - product code KLDEXT2 should do the job at £9 - but check with them taht it is RGB compatible first!) and wire up as follows:

Sky TV Out > AV2 E60 and then AV1 > Splitter In 1 > TV AV1

Samsung 511 DVD Player > Splitter In 2 > TV AV1

You could then hook up Sky VCR out to TV AV2 to get around the limitation I described above.

You could try hooking this upto AV3 on the E60 - but this would mean you couldn't listen to music if the E60 was recording or while watching Sky. You may prefer to connect this direct to AV2 on the TV (on the 1 RGB Scart option). Or, on the 2 RGB socket option, then buy a splitter and have it sit between the Samsung 511 and TV AV2. This is all assuming you don't have an audio in option on your TV (aside from AV1 and AV2).

3. Hawkis

Hawkis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ah, forgot to mention that the Samsung 511 is being demoted to the bedroom! Does this make life easier? All I'll have is Sky+, the Panasonic E60, and the TV. And the Kenwood of course!

4. Rasczak

Rasczak
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,578
    Yes. Now it doesn't matter if TV AV2 is RGB compatible. Hook up as follows:

Sky TV Out > AV2 E60 and then AV1 > TV AV1

Kenwood CD Player > TV AV2

You'll still have the Sky limitation but you get around that by purchasing the splitter I was talking about and hooking Sky VCR Out > Splitter 1 > TV AV2 and the Kenwood > Splitter > TV AV2.

Alternatively (as you suggested) you could hook your Kenwood upto AV3 on the E60 - but you'll have the limitation of not being able to use it whilst playing the E60/Sky.

Obviously you'll want to play around when you get your set-up to see what suits you best - so don't buy any splitters (etc) until you've tried out various solutions!

Have you thought about buying an amp as you'll get more from your Kenwood by doing this - TV speakers surely aren't doing it justice?

5. Hawkis

Hawkis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, definitely. Wiring to the TV is a temporary measure. Will be raiding our local Richer Sounds very soon. Got to find somewhere for it all to go yet which is what has stopped me previously. I know what I want to buy (the Kenwood will be going to though it will break my heart to do so) as I will go for simplicity and as few buttons as poss with the audio gear. One amp, single CD player, sexy Missions + some dirty great thick cable. Will phono out from Sky+ or TV for radio. The Sony TV stand, although very pretty, allows very little room for the amount of appliances we must (my wife disagrees) have these days!
    Again, thanks for the excellent advice and guidance. If you ever need advice on Lighting Components, or your High Intensity Discharge is giving you problems (industry in joke, sorry), give me a shout.

6. Hawkis

Hawkis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS - Sorry Primitive! Feel free to advise/abuse as you see fit!