• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

home server?

jonnyuk1133

Hey guys, im new to NAS and im just wondering what is the best buy for around £300... im looking at 8TB... stream to ps3, itunes server ... and been able to access it with my ipad? ... also new to windows home server and was wondering can anyone enlight me on the features?

Thanks for any feedback! :)

ukprometheus

Hey guys, im new to NAS and im just wondering what is the best buy for around £300... im looking at 8TB... stream to ps3, itunes server ... and been able to access it with my ipad? ... also new to windows home server and was wondering can anyone enlight me on the features?

Thanks for any feedback! :)

one of the proliant N40L home servers is probably your best bet but the prices of hard disks has increased, start with 1 2tb drive and add more as time goes on

graham.myers

Distinguished Member
8tb without an enclosure will set you back twice that at the moment! As prometheus says start of with 2tb until prices start to drop - but thats going to be mid next year probably and then not to the levels we say in October.

coolamasta

Deffo think a HP N36L or N40L Microserver would be right up your street for this but theres no way you can get anywhere near 8TB storage for that budget, you will be able to get the server and a single 2TB for around £300-400 depending where you buy it from and if HP are still doing the £100 cashback on them...

jonnyuk1133

Yer i quite like the HP N40L... jw how do i find out about the cashback?... also guys was wondering does it come with software or do you have to load a OS... im a NAS newbie!

coolamasta

Cashback details should be with the company you buy from, I've heard the N40L is extending the cashback offer to end of Dec now! It doesn't come with any software but its all ready to go so you can opt for the free stuff like FreeNAS or go Windows home server 2011 or something, plenty of options depending on what you want to do with it.

Would chuck in a bit more memory if going Windows and also an extra HDD or 2 for storage...

theronkinator

Yer i quite like the HP N40L... jw how do i find out about the cashback?... also guys was wondering does it come with software or do you have to load a OS... im a NAS newbie!
Cashback is easy to do, just a quick form, check where you're buying from is an official retailer.

IT doesn't come with an OS. Lot's of options, some free and some not. Popular free ones include Freenas and Ubuntu server, paid is WHS2011. And a mix is Unraid which is 3 for upto 3 hard drives, then have to pay for more.

If you're new to it and want simple then WHS2011 is possibly the easiest if you're used to a windows enviroment. I've used it since March and found it great, it's about £35 to buy.

Others have already mentioned the current HDD costs.

jonnyuk1133

Thanks guys for the info... think ill pick this up asap with the £100 cashback and get WHS... if i set it up to Raid1 can i add hard drives later with the raid without deleting everything? ....

theronkinator

Thanks guys for the info... think ill pick this up asap with the £100 cashback and get WHS... if i set it up to Raid1 can i add hard drives later with the raid without deleting everything? ....
Yes that's fine. I use WHS2011's Raid 1 not the microservers though, it's more flexible IMO.

I have 4 drives in mine, a 250GB OS drive (60GB OS partition, 172GB data, auto set up by WHS2011 install). Two Samsung 2TB's in Raid 1 for storage, then another 250GB (taken from my second microserver) as a temp drive used when sorting out other HDD's and need a temp storage area.

Do you want instructions on how to set up WHS2011 install to a flash drive so you don't need to fit an optical drive?

jonnyuk1133

Thanks! but ill install a temp drive to install it on thne remove it after i think... Thanks though everyone for the info hopfully going order soon! ...

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom