1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Home Server Help

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Loafer316, May 30, 2004.

1. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi guys. I have put toogether a PC to act as a server for the other 3 PC's in my house. Right i have had a go at Windows Server and it was too complicated for me! :zonked: :blush: .

I have 3 PC's 2 are wired via CAT5e and the other via 54mbps WIfi to a Linksys WRT54G

Basically i want to put all my extra HDD in the server and have access to music and films. However i want to restrict the access for certain PC's in the house namely the one used by my little sister. She can have access to all music and cartoons etc but not the rest. Where as i should have access to everything. Now the question is do i have to setup a domain? and how is this done. I take it setting up a workgroup (which i can manage! :D ) will not let me set permissions for the other users as they won't be part of a domain? as i tried this but didn't have any luck. I have no problems setting up the fiewwall and antivirus.

If i could, could i do the above with XP pro and not win server? as it has a well known layout.

Thanks for your help and recommendations :thumbsup:

2. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    Yes you can do this with XP Pro and yes you can just use a workgroup type network.

Set up your network and then on your "server" set up the shares you want.

Now go into control panel> user accounts and create an account for each network users.

Now go into the share you just set up and select permissions or security. Here you can add users to have permissions to access the shares and also state if they have read only, full rights etc.

You can also do this at folder level. Right click on the folder, select sharing and security and then click on the security tab.

You must make sure that the "everyone" option is not set (for obvious reasons). PLUS do not do this on any system folders because the system has its own account (called system) and if you deny that, things stop working.

3. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Wow thanks...i'll have a go in the morning and report back!!

4. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,233
    Loafer,

just as the network guy says.. but you're gonna get stuck if you use FAT partitions on the drives..

Make sure you format using NTFS when setting up the data drives on your server..

;)

5. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    hI GUYS! :D

I've had a chance to get things sorted today with the server. I have setup the server using XP Pro SP1. The server is part of a workgroup (i.e Mysever) my other 2 Pc's are also now member of the workgroup (myserver).

As instructed i have setup two user accounts on the server pc, one for myself and one for my sister. Anyway the problem is still there as if i share a folder or drive i can still see it on my sis's PC. If i right click on the folder or drive and go to the sharing and security folder all i get is the option to share the folder and nothing with regard to permissions (this WAS available in Win 2003 server however in that i couldn't setup extra user accounts :zonked: )

Basically want my PC to see all the drives and my sis to only see one of them.

Any help would be appreiciated :confused:

6. The Dude

The Dude

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,233
    Hi Loafer,

Have you got any data on the drives yet?

If not, reformat the drive using NTFS rather than FAT, this will then give you the security tab as you had in 2003 server.

Then you can fully control file/folder access just like on a server.

7. m@rk

m@rk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +360
    Ah

Go to my computer, click on tools and then on folder options.

The select View and at the bottom of the list of options you will see "Use simple file sharing (recomended). Uncheck this option and try again :)

8. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thxs guys! :thumbsup: I did what you suggested and it was cool...however was trying to sort out logging in from my sis's PC as when i put in the user account name i had setup on the server it didn't allow me access,,(on the drive i shared i had given full permission to myself and read only permission to my sis)

Anyway i was just getting around to sorting it out when the OS harddrive in the server started powering up and down and clicking..thats right it was a previous RMA's IBM!! :rolleyes: :mad: anyway i left it alone now...will deal with tommorow luckily most of important stuff like HiDef material was stored on other drives.