Home server and networking questions

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by bigyin, Dec 29, 2011.

1. bigyin

bigyin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hey guys.

I have a few questions on a home server and network I want to setup. I would say my server knowledge is between beginner and intermediate as I am learning server installation/maintenance and networking through my work, also in my free time.

Anyhow, I just bought a HP N36 Mircroserver and just installed ESXI 5.0. I want to install two servers on it.

First I want to install windows home server 2011 for media/ftp/streaming purposes.

Secondly, I want to install windows server 2008. I want this to be "the daddy" on the network. I want this to be the domain controller. My question is can WHS 2011 become a sub-domain of server 2008?? If so, what issues may I come across.

The reason I want to do this is because I want to use server 2008 for learning such as exchange, sharepoint, active directory etc. Stuff I'm quite familiar with at the moment.

I've got 4 large drives to go in the Microserver as well as 8GB of ram. Also I've just bought my own domain name too.

Network Device Tree

Modem
    -Router
    --Gigabit Switch
    ---HP Server (Server 2008) + (WHS 2011)
    --- PC X 3, Laptop X 2, XBOX 360

Any comments and recommendations are most welcome.
    Thanks

2. Tocsin

Tocsin
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You can run sharepoint on WHS, but domains are a (license) no-no.

And I don't know the implications of running both WHS and Server 2008 on the same network... may be worth asking the question on one of the server forums - e.g. We Got Served