Home Security - Wireless vs Wired?

rossyl

Hi All,

Fingers crossed, we'll be moving to a new to us house in a few months.

It has significant security issues in that it backs onto a quiet road, with a single storey garage at the rear: so someone could easily climb on top of the garage and get into the back garden. PLUS, very few people would see that happening. We're in London as well.

The house required renovation, there will be work carried out over time probably 2 years.
We would like the house as secure as possible from Day 1.

I therefore need a security system
  • 100% reliable
  • expandable
  • easy to arm and disarm, from multiple locations
  • can interact with "Smart" systems.
  • will phone me if alarm is tripped, will have cameras allowing me to see if someone has broken in or if it is just a false alarm.
  • Can be armed and disarmed remotely (i.e. when abroad)

Wireless concerns me as
  • WiFi blockers exist. A thief could simply block the signal.
  • No WiFi is 100% reliable, there's always occasional drop out, there's always a reason to need to reboot your router every few months.
  • Reach. Steels big walls etc. We have a MESH system, but again, no guarantee that a neighbour, or something in the local vicinity might affect the signal.

Wired however would be
  • more difficult to install
  • wiring likely to get damaged and need replacing during building work
  • question how easy it is to arm/disarm from multiple locations.

Police monitoring
  • I've not had this before
  • I do like the thought of additional safety, but I question of the Police would actually show up!

Appreciate your thoughts and recommendations on systems.

Thanks

markiii

first though ref wireless

you will still need power, if you can get power to the cameras then you can get ethernet which will be wired and deliver POE

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
You may want to reconsider some of your thoughts as wireless doesn’t necessarily equal WiFi

I install Ajax alarm systems that are mainly wireless but use a secure frequency hopping system built on military grade wireless

the Ajax system Is a mesh based system but also has repeaters to ensure coverage

D

Deleted member 24354

I’d cable for Cameras - Cat5e and use a wireless alarm - Ajax being my choice of alarm.

if you have burglars that are targeting your property with wireless jammers then you have bigger problems and these are not the forums to help you. As Seb has said Ajax use sophisticated frequency hopping Technologies that make jamming very difficult and should somebody manage to jam a sensor the system will let you know instantly. Ajax systems monitor the heartbeat of every device on the system and report the system status to Ajax servers every 30 seconds.
Ajax alarms are also Grade 2 so they are professional security systems unlike other ‘popular’ DIY wireless alarms
Everything else that you mentioned is pretty much standard features on Ajax.
There are other wireless security solutions available that may meet your needs.

rossyl

Thanks @sbriggs and @mushii

I just read through the whole Ajax Thread an have pinged a few questions there. It seems pretty good, but there are some queries which I've put in that thread and would be grateful for your thoughts.

One important question is - what's the competitor to Ajax?
I appreciate that you both like Ajax, and it's better than 'home install' similar products. But, what other systems actually do compare. I'm guessing that they cannot be unique.

D

Deleted member 24354

The closest ‘direct copy’ is the Hikvision AX Pro. It’s a poor substitute though - I also install Hikvision. I also used to install Pyronix Enforcers but the are an 18 year old panel with limited features. Also owned by Hikvision

oneman

You may want to reconsider some of your thoughts as wireless doesn’t necessarily equal WiFi

I install Ajax alarm systems that are mainly wireless but use a secure frequency hopping system built on military grade wireless

the Ajax system Is a mesh based system but also has repeaters to ensure coverage
Just wondering what frequency the Ajax cameras use for their WiFi ?

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
For communication between the hub and the devices, the Ajax security system uses Jeweller radio technology. It operates in the range from 868.0 to 868.6 MHz or 868.7 to 869.2 MHz (depending on the region) and constantly checks the noise level in the radio channel.

Seb Briggs

Distinguished Member
Just for clarification the Ajax sensors with cameras aren’t traditional cctv cameras or necessarily a replacement for cctv . They take snapshots when an event occurs rather than always on type of coverage
However 3rd party cctv cameras can also be added to the system for more traditional cctv system

D

Deleted member 24354

Ajax don't use wifi they use proprietary signalling protocols - Jeweller which is a TDMA based based radio protocol with AES block cypher encryption and frequency hopping. It operates in the 868,0–868,6 MHz frequency ranges. They also use Wings for transmission of the video images from the MotionCams which is similar to Jeweller but is a high-speed transmission protocol that uses different frequencies to Jeweller. Seb beat me to it

oneman

Just for clarification the Ajax sensors with cameras aren’t traditional cctv cameras or necessarily a replacement for cctv . They take snapshots when an event occurs rather than always on type of coverage
However 3rd party cctv cameras can also be added to the system for more traditional cctv system
That would make sense that it's used for snapshots. I dabble in networking at work and we are using 868mhz for LoRaWAN IoT devices which are great for range and works well RF rich environment like a manufacturing plant but you would be lucky to get a single hires video stream let alone multiple ones.

D

Deleted member 24354

868 is a busy part of the spectrum, hence the use of TDMA and frequency hopping.

oneman

868 is a busy part of the spectrum, hence the use of TDMA and frequency hopping.
It is indeed, for home use there is a lot IOT devices, it's what you get when you have unlicensed free for all.

Last edited:

spile

I would ignore non wired and install a POE solution accessed via vpn server. My solution is to run QVRPro. I assume you have read Cliffs Notes.

The latest video from AVForums

AVForums Movies Podcast: Streaming Theatrical Releases And The Future Of Cinema
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom